What is up with fopen??? FOpen and local directories

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nonee, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Nonee

    Nonee Guest

    Ok, could anyone tell me why exactly guests.txt is opening in a higher
    directory instead of the local directory?

    $filename = "guests.txt";
    $handle = fopen($filename, "r");

    It opens the file, not in the current calling php file's directory,
    but the directory above it... What is going on?!? So it creates the
    file in c:\ instead of c:\phpfiles\ where the index.php file is
    located (just for example). Now, what is happening is you fill out a
    form, use the data from the form to create a directory and output an
    index.php file in that directory. Then, from the index.php file
    located in the newly created directory runs the above lines. So why
    is the index.php file from the new directory opening the guests.txt
    file in the upper directory where the form php file is stored instead
    of the new index.php file in the deeper directory? Did I lose
    everyone like I have myself? I have never been that good at
    .../names.txt etc and file locations and I can really use some help
    please... Do I need like a "../guests.txt" or ./guests.txt or
    something? I have a feeling it is something VERY stupid. Please be
    gentle... heh.

    Thanks,

    Josh

    Also, the form.php creates the index.php file from two other files,
    top and bottom.php (reads and outputs both to index.php). I put in my
    own stuff in between top and bottom and sandwich them all together in
    index.php. Index.php outputs correctly but will not open guests.txt
    in the local newdirectory but in the root. HEEELP! : )

    // I want this...
    - Root
    - form.php
    - top.php
    - bottom.php
    - NewDirectory
    - index.php <-- file that tries to read guests.txt
    - guests.txt

    // ...but I get this
    - Root
    - form.php
    - top.php
    - bottom.php
    - guests.txt
    - NewDirectory
    index.php

    Nonee, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Nonee

    Nonee Guest

    SOLUTION FOUND: I am an idiot... Re: What is up with fopen??? FOpen and local directories

    Not that you guys probably care, but yes, I am an idiot. I knew it
    would be simple. The second form that reads and writes the guests.txt
    file posts to a file in the upper directory, not the local because
    the post file RESIDES in the upper directory and not the local. I
    created a dynamic hidden form field with the current directory that
    holds the index.php so then the post file can use the hidden field to
    create the txt file in the index.php directory.... Been a long day.

    Yes folks, I win the darwin award. hehe....

    -Josh

    Nonee, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Nonee

    Neredbojias Guest

    Re: SOLUTION FOUND: I am an idiot... Re: What is up with fopen??? FOpen and local directories

    With neither quill nor qualm, Nonee quothed:

    > Not that you guys probably care, but yes, I am an idiot. I knew it
    > would be simple. The second form that reads and writes the guests.txt
    > file posts to a file in the upper directory, not the local because
    > the post file RESIDES in the upper directory and not the local. I
    > created a dynamic hidden form field with the current directory that
    > holds the index.php so then the post file can use the hidden field to
    > create the txt file in the index.php directory.... Been a long day.
    >
    > Yes folks, I win the darwin award. hehe....
    >
    > -Josh

    Hey, anyone can make a simple mistake, but I've rarely heard it so
    comprehensively described.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2005