What is VS Doing to my Code???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by downs.matt@gmail.com, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello!
    I'm working on an ASP/VB.NET application that was originally developed
    on the .NET 1.0 Framework. It was recently converted to run on the 1.1

    Framework. The application compiles and runs fine after the
    conversion, UNTIL I try to modify the GUI.

    Basically, I am unable to modify any properties of the GUI components.
    (It simply does not make the changes).

    The MAJOR problem is that when I attempt to make any modification, VS
    changes most of the components from "Protected Friend WithEvents" to
    simply "Protected WithEvents". This causes build errors since these
    components are inherited and modified in another file. I can manually
    change them back to Friend components, but then some components do not
    behave properly in the program. (i.e. buttons don't work, labels don't
    change, etc.)

    Here is a code example of what occurs:

    Original Code:
    Public MustInherit Class singledie
    Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl
    Protected Friend WithEvents fraGauges As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Pane­­l
    Protected Friend WithEvents grdGauges As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Data­­Grid
    Protected Friend WithEvents lblOldDistance As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe­­l
    Protected Friend WithEvents lblOldVoid As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe­­l

    After Attempted Modification to GUI:
    Public MustInherit Class singledie
    Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl
    Protected WithEvents fraGauges As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Pane­­l

    Protected WithEvents grdGauges As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Data­­Grid
    Protected WithEvents lblOldDistance As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe­­l
    Protected WithEvents lblOldVoid As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Labe­­l

    I'm thinking this is due to the Upgrade from Framework 1.0 to Framework

    1.1. Could it simply be a default setting in VS .NET 2003 that i need
    to change?

    Thanks!
    ~Matt

    , Sep 1, 2005

  2. Matt Guest

    Well, I loaded the app into .NET '02 with Framework version 1.0, and it
    did not exhibit the same behavior, so i know it has SOMEthing to do
    with the "upgrade".

    Does ANYONE out there know how to deal with these kinds of upgrade
    issues?

    Matt, Sep 2, 2005