what is wrong!

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by John, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi all,
    I wrote the code to get the following output:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    1 3 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    3 2 4 1 5 6 7 8 9 10
    2 4 1 5 3 6 7 8 9 10
    4 1 5 3 6 2 7 8 9 10
    1 5 3 6 2 7 4 8 9 10
    5 3 6 2 7 4 8 1 9 10
    3 6 2 7 4 8 1 9 5 10
    6 2 7 4 8 1 9 5 10 3

    but,the output received from the code is different.
    there is some mistake and I got confusion on.if you
    know some better advice and correction to my code,
    please show it.

    tanx a lot!

    the code wrote by me is as below:

    #include<stdio.h>

    int main(){
    int a[10][10];
    int i,j,k,temp;

    printf("input the integer\n");
    for(i=0;i<10;i++)
    scanf("%d",&a[0]);

    printf("put the integer 9times\n");
    for(i=0;i<9;i++){
    scanf("%d",&temp);

    a[i+1][temp-1] = a[0];

    for(j=0;j<temp-1;j++)
    a[i+1][j] = a[j+1];
    for(j=temp;j<10;j++)
    a[i+1][j] = a[j];

    }

    for(i=0;i<10;i++){
    for(j=0;j<10;j++){
    printf("%d ",a[j]);
    }
    printf("\n");
    return 0;

    John

    John, Jan 8, 2005

  2. John

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I wrote the code to get the following output:
    > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > 2
    > 3
    > 4
    > 5
    > 6
    > 7
    > 8
    > 9
    > 10
    > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > 2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > 1 3 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > 3 2 4 1 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > 2 4 1 5 3 6 7 8 9 10
    > 4 1 5 3 6 2 7 8 9 10
    > 1 5 3 6 2 7 4 8 9 10
    > 5 3 6 2 7 4 8 1 9 10
    > 3 6 2 7 4 8 1 9 5 10
    > 6 2 7 4 8 1 9 5 10 3
    >

    > but,the output received from the code is different.
    > there is some mistake and I got confusion on.if you
    > know some better advice and correction to my code,
    > please show it.

    Please describe exactly what the program is supposed to
    do. I won't try to figure out what the 'pattern' is
    supposed to be.

    The way you've phrased it, my solution would be to
    simply 'hard code' those lines and output them

    e.g.:

    puts("1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10");

    etc.

    (but I doubt that's what's wanted).

    Also please learn to indent your code.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jan 8, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    Dear Mike,

    I try to declare a two dimensional array with a size 10 by 10 at
    first.after that I am
    going to read the integers into a[0][0] to a[0]]9] .after that,I am
    going to repeat the
    insertion specified by an integer sequence about 9 times, and store the
    results from
    a[1] to a[9].
    at the final,I try to print the array same as I pointed to my first
    post as an out put.

    thanks

    John, Jan 8, 2005
  4. John

    Nick Austin Guest

    On 8 Jan 2005 07:20:31 -0800, "John" <> wrote:

    One mistake I notice is that the return statement is inside
    the loop instead of following it:

    >for(i=0;i<10;i++){
    >for(j=0;j<10;j++){
    >printf("%d ",a[j]);
    >}
    > printf("\n");
    > return 0;
    > }

    Nick.

    Nick Austin, Jan 8, 2005
  5. "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    [snip]
    > Also please learn to indent your code.
    >
    > -Mike

    The OP probably did indent his code. There's a serious bug (several,
    actually) in the new groups.google.com posting interface.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 8, 2005
  6. John

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    > [snip]
    > > Also please learn to indent your code.
    > >
    > > -Mike

    > The OP probably did indent his code. There's a serious bug (several,
    > actually) in the new groups.google.com posting interface.

    This is why we always advise folks not to post code
    with tabs -- convert them to spaces first. Or is
    google mangling those too?

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jan 8, 2005
  7. "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    > "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    >> [snip]
    >> > Also please learn to indent your code.
    >> >
    >> > -Mike

    >> The OP probably did indent his code. There's a serious bug (several,
    >> actually) in the new groups.google.com posting interface.

    > This is why we always advise folks not to post code
    > with tabs -- convert them to spaces first. Or is
    > google mangling those too?

    Google is indiscriminantly deleting leading whitespace on most lines,
    both spaces and tabs. I've seen some indentation that it doesn't
    delete, but I have no clue why. (I imagine this is even worse for the
    Python groups.)

    It also deletes multiple empty lines in some cases, and its attempt to
    mask e-mail addresses mangles anything containing "@" characters
    (which is a serious problem for TeX source code and the folks in
    rec.games.roguelike.development).

    Keith Thompson, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Keith Thompson <> scribbled the following:
    > "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    >> "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    >>> [snip]

    >>> The OP probably did indent his code. There's a serious bug (several,
    >>> actually) in the new groups.google.com posting interface.

    >> This is why we always advise folks not to post code
    >> with tabs -- convert them to spaces first. Or is
    >> google mangling those too?

    > Google is indiscriminantly deleting leading whitespace on most lines,
    > both spaces and tabs. I've seen some indentation that it doesn't
    > delete, but I have no clue why. (I imagine this is even worse for the
    > Python groups.)

    > It also deletes multiple empty lines in some cases, and its attempt to
    > mask e-mail addresses mangles anything containing "@" characters
    > (which is a serious problem for TeX source code and the folks in
    > rec.games.roguelike.development).

    Seems like Google is hell-bent on destroying Usenet.

    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark
    to read anyway."
    - Groucho Marx

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 9, 2005
  9. "Joona I Palaste" <> wrote in message
    > Keith Thompson <> scribbled the following:
    > > "Mike Wahler" <> writes:
    > >> "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message

    > >> This is why we always advise folks not to post code
    > >> with tabs -- convert them to spaces first. Or is
    > >> google mangling those too?

    > > Google is indiscriminantly deleting leading whitespace on most lines,
    > > both spaces and tabs. I've seen some indentation that it doesn't
    > > delete, but I have no clue why. (I imagine this is even worse for the
    > > Python groups.)

    > > It also deletes multiple empty lines in some cases, and its attempt to
    > > mask e-mail addresses mangles anything containing "@" characters
    > > (which is a serious problem for TeX source code and the folks in
    > > rec.games.roguelike.development).

    > Seems like Google is hell-bent on destroying Usenet.
    >
    > --
    > /-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\

    The easiest way to deal with Google is to prepend a "|" to every line of
    code. It is annoying to have to get rid of these if you plan on
    copying/pasting/compiling the code, but its easier to read with '|' and
    proper indentation than without any indentation.

    Richards Noah \(IFR LIT MET\), Jan 10, 2005
  10. "Richards Noah \(IFR LIT MET\)" <> writes:
    > "Joona I Palaste" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> Seems like Google is hell-bent on destroying Usenet.

    > The easiest way to deal with Google is to prepend a "|" to every line of
    > code. It is annoying to have to get rid of these if you plan on
    > copying/pasting/compiling the code, but its easier to read with '|' and
    > proper indentation than without any indentation.

    The easist way to deal with Google is to post through
    groups.google.ca, which still uses the old (working) interface.
    There may be other local groups.google.* sites that will also work.

    I started a separate thread on these problems, subject
    "groups.google.com indentation bugs [semi-OT]". I suggest carrying on
    this discussion there.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 10, 2005
  11. Keith Thompson <> writes:
    [...]
    > The easist way to deal with Google is to post through
    > groups.google.ca, which still uses the old (working) interface.
    > There may be other local groups.google.* sites that will also work.
    >
    > I started a separate thread on these problems, subject
    > "groups.google.com indentation bugs [semi-OT]". I suggest carrying on
    > this discussion there.

    But "Old Wolf" points out an apparent problem with groups.google.ca in
    that thread. (It's a pity I can't redirect followups to a thread.)

    Keith Thompson, Jan 10, 2005