What is XML for Motif resource files + xnllanguage?

Discussion in 'XML' started by C.W.Holeman II, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. For info on the context of my question see the end of this posting.

    I have used resource files and xnlLanguage to control the language
    displayed in a Motif application. Simply dropping an appropriately named
    additional resource file for a new language in the proper directory the
    application would be able to display the content in that language.

    Regarding XML I have found info about i18n in several places including
    here:

    http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index#structure

    on how to handle details like encoding, xml:lang and direction.
    What I am still hunting for is how to separate the text from the
    structure of a document and the method for combining them together for
    display.

    Here are the two links I located on the topic.

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/XSLT/Recipe/65427
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-xslt/

    I am looking for more complete examples.

    Context:

    I am working on the second generation of a collection of applets that
    use the interactive aspect of a computer with graphics to provide an
    experience for internalizing low level math concepts. For the current
    state of this project see:

    Electronic Mathematics Laboratory Equipment
    http://emle.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

    The first generation uses TCL/Tk applets embedded in web pages. I am
    continuing from the first generation proof of concept. Those applets
    were hand coded with cut and paste of TCL/Tk snippets in a poor style.
    See:

    Introduction - Emle V1.0.0
    http://emle.sourceforge.net/index_010000.shtml

    I am now working on the frame work for creating the applets that does
    not require the level of programming skills needed in the first
    generation proof of concept. I am learning some newer technologies for
    this purpose: XML, XML Schema, XPath, XSLT, XHTML, MathML, SVG,
    Javascript, DOM, CSS, HTML 4.01 and others. I have already found that by
    using XML I can create simple documents that are transformed by XSLT
    into web pages with XHTML controls that have Javascript code displaying
    SVG graphics. With this an author will be able to create XML files
    without having to write much XHTML nor Javascript.

    Currently I am using:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3)
    Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

    with the intent of keeping to standards based features. I am not
    concerned about poor functionality on other browsers unless the feature
    being used is standards based. At time time, I may even ignore all other
    browsers in order to focus on other issues.

    --
    C.W.Holeman II | -5 http://JulianLocals.com/cwhii
    To only a fraction of the human race does God give the privilege of

    C.W.Holeman II, Jun 13, 2007