What is "XML interfaces"?

Discussion in 'XML' started by David List, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. David List

    David List Guest

    I'm working on a analyzation/design project that is supposed to
    uncover the intricacies and implications in entering the market for
    systems used by public administrations here in Denmark.

    XML and its use is a very important part of constructing such a
    system, since it is advised and specified from higher levels that
    systems of this kind should make use of XML as basis for exchange of
    documents.

    In the documents and specifications describing this, there is a term
    that comes up quite often: "XML interfaces". Unfortunately, none of
    the authors of these documents have bothered to explain or specify
    what an "XML interface" is, which means that both I, and the rest of
    the group working on the project, have tried avoiding the work parts
    of the project in which we need to work with interfaces.

    We cannot avoid it any longer, however, and we still haven't found a
    reasonable explanation for the term. Can anyone here point out some
    information for us that could clarify the subject?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
    David List
    David List, Apr 12, 2004

  2. David List

    Ashmodai Guest

    David List scribbled something along the lines of:
    <snip/>
    > In the documents and specifications describing this, there is a term
    > that comes up quite often: "XML interfaces". Unfortunately, none of
    > the authors of these documents have bothered to explain or specify
    > what an "XML interface" is

    <snip/>

    It might help if you could give some actual quotes as I personally do
    not know of an establish term "XML interfaces" either and think it might
    be an author specific phrase to describe something in particular.
    XML itself has no interface as it is just a way to store data. XML
    editors have interfaces and you can create interfaces using XML source
    files, but neither of these seem to be the intended meaning the authors
    might have had in mind.

    If you haven't yet, try reading through the docs without focussing on
    the meaning of that phrase too much, the context might eventually give
    clues as to what is tried to describe using that phrase.

    Just a suggestion.
    --
    Alan Plum, WAD/WD, Mushroom Cloud Productions
    http://www.mushroom-cloud.com/
    Ashmodai, Apr 13, 2004

  3. David List

    GIMME Guest

    I haven't heard the term "XML interfaces" in XML literature.

    The term "interfaces" often refers to batch processes.
    An "XML interface" would refer to a batch process where XML
    is used as the protocol to fetch the data from one data source
    and to insert some of that data to another data source. (The
    batch process interfaces two systems.)

    In a java sense of the word, an "XML interface" might refer
    to a set of DTDs agreed upon by a consortium. For example HRXML
    is a set of DTD created by a consortium of companies. Some
    of their DTDs are publically available.

    GIMME, Apr 13, 2004
  4. David List

    David List Guest

    On 13 Apr 2004 11:26:44 -0700,
    GIMME <>
    wrote in <>:
    > I haven't heard the term "XML interfaces" in XML literature.
    >
    > The term "interfaces" often refers to batch processes.
    > An "XML interface" would refer to a batch process where XML
    > is used as the protocol to fetch the data from one data source
    > and to insert some of that data to another data source. (The
    > batch process interfaces two systems.)

    That would make sense in this context.

    > In a java sense of the word, an "XML interface" might refer
    > to a set of DTDs agreed upon by a consortium.

    Or a set of Schemas?

    > For example HRXML
    > is a set of DTD created by a consortium of companies. Some
    > of their DTDs are publically available.

    Thank you very much for your answer.

    Best regards,
    David List
    David List, Apr 13, 2004
  5. David List

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:48:14 +0200, David List <>
    wrote:

    >In the documents and specifications describing this, there is a term
    >that comes up quite often: "XML interfaces".

    This is all too often a bullshit term from marketing. It's bullshit
    because XML -- of itself -- is not an interface. XML + an XML Schema
    may be an interface, if the schema is widely agreed outside the
    project. Without saying what this schema is though, there is no more a
    useful interface here than if they'd said "Now available in binary".

    But, managers have pointy hair, and they fall for it. It's XML, it
    must be good.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Apr 13, 2004