What is your favourite IDE?

ChrisKaelin

I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
unhandy for a lazy type like me...

So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Phillip Gawlowski

ChrisKaelin said:
I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
unhandy for a lazy type like me...

So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

NetBeans and the command line.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Rule of Open-Source Programming #7:

Release early, release often. Clean compilation is optional.

Bertram Scharpf

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 12. Apr 2007, 19:55:09 +0900 schrieb ChrisKaelin:
So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Vim, Bash.

Bertram

Avdi Grimm

So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

Emacs for coding. I find that debuggers are frequently useless and
almost always more trouble than they are worth, so I generally debug
with unit tests and, when necessary, puts().

Todd Werth

Peter said:
got IntelliSense working for Ruby in Eclipse. So this means free
cross-platform IntelliSense! A screencast can be found here:

One note: IntelliSense is simply Microsoft's branding of a host of
features such as code-completion (which is all it was originally in VB
5, then they added more to it later). The term is trademarked by
Microsoft.

I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
completion, it's IntelliSense". Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
features than MS does with their IntelliSense. They just can't call it
that for legal reasons.

Huw Collingbourne

Todd Werth said:
Peter C. Verhage wrote:
I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
completion, it's IntelliSense". Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
features than MS does with their IntelliSense. They just can't call it
that for legal reasons.

Bear in mind also that IntelliSense means on-the-fly code analysis. It isn't
just code completion. Many IDEs provide code completion based on simple
alphabetical lists or using method names declared in the current code file.
That is a long way from IntelliSense. To provide IntelliSense, you need to
interpret the code - not only the code that's being edited, but also also
any changes that editing changes might introduce going right up the class
hierarchy. In other words, a real IntelliSense system is an interpreter, not
just a 'method-lookup' tool.

We've put a great deal of effort into Ruby In Steel's IntelliSense system
and you might therefore understand why we are a little sensitive to other
IDE's claims to IntelliSense when what they generally mean is 'code
completion' ;-)

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphiresteel.com
Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

Andrey Platov

Hello Huw,

Eclipse DLTK also do a lot of things while computing code completion
proposals like abstract interpreting of Ruby code, demand driven
analysis with subgoals pruning, searching for refs, etc... But DLTK
folks still calling this "Code Assist" (Eclipse-way). You referring to
the same feature as "IntelliSense" (MS-way)... I believe it does not
matters a lot for an IDE user how process of getting completion
proposals named: IntelliSense, Code Assist, or Code Complete.
Implementation and results quality does matter, so are you ready for
real open challenge to prove that your IntelliSense is *better* than
DLTK's Code Assist (completion)? If you definitely ready, I believe DLTK
guys will be happy to meet the challenge.

Kind Regards,
Andrey Platov

Vlad Ciubotariu

Is anyone using Activestate's Kodomo? I know activestate is a player in
the perl community but I don't know much about the ruby world.

thanks
vlad

Todd Werth

Huw said:
Bear in mind also that IntelliSense means on-the-fly code analysis. It
isn't
just code completion. Many IDEs provide code completion based on simple
alphabetical lists or using method names declared in the current code
file.
That is a long way from IntelliSense. To provide IntelliSense, you need
interpret the code - not only the code that's being edited, but also
also
any changes that editing changes might introduce going right up the
class
hierarchy. In other words, a real IntelliSense system is an interpreter,
not
just a 'method-lookup' tool.

My point was that Intellisense is a word trademarked by Microsoft, so,
of course, no one else is going to have 'Intellisense'. However, for
languages like Java, all the major IDEs (Netbeans, Eclipse, IDEA, etc)
have very similar features as Visual Studio does with its
Intellisense(tm). To insinuate that all they do is "method-lookup'
isn't exactly fair.

As for Ruby, most of them are working on supporting these features.
DLTK in Eclipse, Tor Norbye is working on support in NetBeans, etc.

Creating code-completion for dynamic languages is hard, as you have
noted, and code-completion can mean anything from matching strings in
the current file all the way to on-the-fly code analysis.

It makes sense that you want to communicate the sophistication of your
product, however there are others doing similar work on platforms other
than Visual Studio, using names other than Intellisense.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Vlad said:
Is anyone using Activestate's Kodomo? I know activestate is a player in
the perl community but I don't know much about the ruby world.

thanks
vlad
I'm using Komodo and I like it. I did a rather lengthy evaluation, and
threw out Eclipse mostly because it was too big and too Java-oriented.
That left some Ruby-specific tools, which I think are rather weak,
KDevelop and Komodo. I really like KDevelop -- it's extremely well
integrated with Ruby, Qt and KDE, as well as SVN and CVS, C/C++ and, as
far as I know, Perl, Python, PHP, Java, Javascript and HTML.

What pushed me over the edge from KDevelop to Komodo was the fact that
it was really a one platform -- one sub-platform, actually -- solution.
If you want to develop for Windows, Macs, use a toolkit other than Qt,
or a desktop other than KDE, you have a fair amount of work to do.
Komodo runs on at least Windows and Linux, is toolkit neutral (but
prefers Tk / ActiveTcl), and has a pretty good Ruby interface. But if
you can live with KDevelop's platform biases, I think it's the way to go.

Don Levan

Hello all,

A journey that has taken me from developing in Filemaker through the
self study of Ruby, Rails, and regular expressions has led me to
begin looking at algorithms and data structures. Though I don't have
a traditional computer science background, I am trying to educate
myself as best I can.

I am begin stymied by what looks like math but is greek to me. For
example, on the first page of the book I am reading (The Algorithm
Design Manual, b Steven Skinea), there is this description of the
insertion sort algorithm:

for i = 1 to n - 1 do
for j = i downto 2 do
if (A[j] < A[j-1]) then swap(A[j],A[j-1])

I can struggle through it, but I am wondering 1) what branch of math
is this? Is it algebra or something more complex? And 2) are there
any good (and accessible) books that will give me a basic
introduction to the language conventions?

Thanks so much,

Don Levan
Brooklyn, New York

Brian Adkins

I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
unhandy for a lazy type like me...

So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

vim/gvim

Erwin Abbott

Sorting algorithms are typically covered in college computer science
classes with titles like "Data Structures & Algorithms". Sorting is a
CS topic and it doesn't appear to be studied in many math
departments... but some "Discrete Math/Number Theory" kinds of courses
might cover related topics. Donald Knuth has a set of books called
"The Art of Computer Programming" that are very good for learning all
kinds of algorithms and how to apply them. I think Volume 3 deals
specifically with sorts/sieves.

Martin Krauskopf

Brian said:
[...]
So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

vim/gvim

I'm just curious whether Vim supports Ruby debugging? I've googled out
just some information about "How it would be technically possible". But
not any working implementation. So is there any?

Thanks,
m.

yang cao

who can tell me how to close vim-ruby plugins' auto-complete?
when i type <C-p> in insert mode,it always search the whole .rb files
in ruby lib folder,
and it's slow...

thanks
cy