    and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
    unhandy for a lazy type like me...

    So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    ChrisKaelin, Apr 12, 2007

  2. ChrisKaelin wrote:
    > I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
    > the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
    > and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
    > unhandy for a lazy type like me...
    >
    > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    NetBeans and the command line.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
    http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #7:

    Release early, release often. Clean compilation is optional.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Hi,

    Am Donnerstag, 12. Apr 2007, 19:55:09 +0900 schrieb ChrisKaelin:
    > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    Vim, Bash.

    Bertram

    --
    Bertram Scharpf
    Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany

    Bertram Scharpf, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Emacs+ecb, etc.

    --
    Pedro Fortuny Ayuso
    C/Capuchinos 14, 1. 47006 Valladolid. SPAIN

    Pedro Fortuny Ayuso, Apr 12, 2007
  5. ChrisKaelin

    Avdi Grimm Guest

    On 4/12/07, ChrisKaelin <> wrote:
    > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    Emacs for coding. I find that debuggers are frequently useless and
    almost always more trouble than they are worth, so I generally debug
    with unit tests and, when necessary, puts().

    --
    Avdi

    Avdi Grimm, Apr 12, 2007
  6. 2007/4/12, ChrisKaelin <>:

    > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    vim, bash, grep, less, ...

    --
    John Mettraux -///- http://jmettraux.openwfe.org

    John Mettraux, Apr 12, 2007
  7. John Mettraux wrote:
    > 2007/4/12, ChrisKaelin <>:
    >>
    >> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    > vim, bash, grep, less, ...

    + sed

    Jan Friedrich, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Re: What is your favourite IDE? Eclipse DLTK!

    Hi,

    Haven't tried it yet, but I read on a blog about Eclipse DLTK. They've
    got IntelliSense working for Ruby in Eclipse. So this means free
    cross-platform IntelliSense! A screencast can be found here:

    http://us.xored.com/~haiodo/EclipseCon07/dltk-ruby.mov

    Regards,

    Peter

    Peter C. Verhage, Apr 12, 2007
  9. ChrisKaelin

    Todd Werth Guest

    Peter C. Verhage wrote:
    > got IntelliSense working for Ruby in Eclipse. So this means free
    > cross-platform IntelliSense! A screencast can be found here:

    One note: IntelliSense is simply Microsoft's branding of a host of
    features such as code-completion (which is all it was originally in VB
    5, then they added more to it later). The term is trademarked by
    Microsoft.

    I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
    completion, it's IntelliSense". Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
    features than MS does with their IntelliSense. They just can't call it
    that for legal reasons.

    Todd Werth, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Re: What is your favourite IDE? Eclipse DLTK!

    "Todd Werth" <> wrote in message
    > Peter C. Verhage wrote:
    > I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
    > completion, it's IntelliSense". Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
    > features than MS does with their IntelliSense. They just can't call it
    > that for legal reasons.

    Bear in mind also that IntelliSense means on-the-fly code analysis. It isn't
    just code completion. Many IDEs provide code completion based on simple
    alphabetical lists or using method names declared in the current code file.
    That is a long way from IntelliSense. To provide IntelliSense, you need to
    interpret the code - not only the code that's being edited, but also also
    any changes that editing changes might introduce going right up the class
    hierarchy. In other words, a real IntelliSense system is an interpreter, not
    just a 'method-lookup' tool.

    We've put a great deal of effort into Ruby In Steel's IntelliSense system
    and you might therefore understand why we are a little sensitive to other
    IDE's claims to IntelliSense when what they generally mean is 'code
    completion' ;-)

    best wishes
    Huw Collingbourne

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com
    Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

    Huw Collingbourne, Apr 12, 2007
  11. Re: What is your favourite IDE? Eclipse DLTK!

    Hello Huw,

    Eclipse DLTK also do a lot of things while computing code completion
    proposals like abstract interpreting of Ruby code, demand driven
    analysis with subgoals pruning, searching for refs, etc... But DLTK
    folks still calling this "Code Assist" (Eclipse-way). You referring to
    the same feature as "IntelliSense" (MS-way)... I believe it does not
    matters a lot for an IDE user how process of getting completion
    proposals named: IntelliSense, Code Assist, or Code Complete.
    Implementation and results quality does matter, so are you ready for
    real open challenge to prove that your IntelliSense is *better* than
    DLTK's Code Assist (completion)? If you definitely ready, I believe DLTK
    guys will be happy to meet the challenge.

    Kind Regards,
    Andrey Platov

    Andrey Platov, Apr 12, 2007
  12. Is anyone using Activestate's Kodomo? I know activestate is a player in
    the perl community but I don't know much about the ruby world.

    thanks
    vlad

    Vlad Ciubotariu, Apr 12, 2007
  13. ChrisKaelin

    Todd Werth Guest

    Huw Collingbourne wrote:
    > "Todd Werth" <> wrote in message
    >> I see a lot of people say something like "it is more than code
    >> completion, it's IntelliSense". Many IDEs have similar, or even better,
    >> features than MS does with their IntelliSense. They just can't call it
    >> that for legal reasons.

    > Bear in mind also that IntelliSense means on-the-fly code analysis. It
    > isn't
    > just code completion. Many IDEs provide code completion based on simple
    > alphabetical lists or using method names declared in the current code
    > file.
    > That is a long way from IntelliSense. To provide IntelliSense, you need
    > interpret the code - not only the code that's being edited, but also
    > also
    > any changes that editing changes might introduce going right up the
    > class
    > hierarchy. In other words, a real IntelliSense system is an interpreter,
    > not
    > just a 'method-lookup' tool.

    My point was that Intellisense is a word trademarked by Microsoft, so,
    of course, no one else is going to have 'Intellisense'. However, for
    languages like Java, all the major IDEs (Netbeans, Eclipse, IDEA, etc)
    have very similar features as Visual Studio does with its
    Intellisense(tm). To insinuate that all they do is "method-lookup'
    isn't exactly fair.

    As for Ruby, most of them are working on supporting these features.
    DLTK in Eclipse, Tor Norbye is working on support in NetBeans, etc.

    Creating code-completion for dynamic languages is hard, as you have
    noted, and code-completion can mean anything from matching strings in
    the current file all the way to on-the-fly code analysis.

    It makes sense that you want to communicate the sophistication of your
    product, however there are others doing similar work on platforms other
    than Visual Studio, using names other than Intellisense.

    Todd Werth, Apr 13, 2007
  14. Vlad Ciubotariu wrote:
    > Is anyone using Activestate's Kodomo? I know activestate is a player in
    > the perl community but I don't know much about the ruby world.
    >
    > thanks
    > vlad

    I'm using Komodo and I like it. I did a rather lengthy evaluation, and
    threw out Eclipse mostly because it was too big and too Java-oriented.
    That left some Ruby-specific tools, which I think are rather weak,
    KDevelop and Komodo. I really like KDevelop -- it's extremely well
    integrated with Ruby, Qt and KDE, as well as SVN and CVS, C/C++ and, as
    far as I know, Perl, Python, PHP, Java, Javascript and HTML.

    What pushed me over the edge from KDevelop to Komodo was the fact that
    it was really a one platform -- one sub-platform, actually -- solution.
    If you want to develop for Windows, Macs, use a toolkit other than Qt,
    or a desktop other than KDE, you have a fair amount of work to do.
    Komodo runs on at least Windows and Linux, is toolkit neutral (but
    prefers Tk / ActiveTcl), and has a pretty good Ruby interface. But if
    you can live with KDevelop's platform biases, I think it's the way to go.

    http://borasky-research.net/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Apr 13, 2007
  15. ChrisKaelin

    Don Levan Guest

    Computer Science Math - For the Uninitiated

    Hello all,

    A journey that has taken me from developing in Filemaker through the
    self study of Ruby, Rails, and regular expressions has led me to
    begin looking at algorithms and data structures. Though I don't have
    a traditional computer science background, I am trying to educate
    myself as best I can.

    I am begin stymied by what looks like math but is greek to me. For
    example, on the first page of the book I am reading (The Algorithm
    Design Manual, b Steven Skinea), there is this description of the
    insertion sort algorithm:

    for i = 1 to n - 1 do
    for j = i downto 2 do
    if (A[j] < A[j-1]) then swap(A[j],A[j-1])

    I can struggle through it, but I am wondering 1) what branch of math
    is this? Is it algebra or something more complex? And 2) are there
    any good (and accessible) books that will give me a basic
    introduction to the language conventions?

    Thanks so much,

    Don Levan
    Brooklyn, New York

    Don Levan, Apr 13, 2007
  16. ChrisKaelin

    Brian Adkins Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 03:54:49 -0700, ChrisKaelin wrote:

    > I prefer using eclipse for it's freedom, ruby and svn plugins etc. But
    > the big problem now is, debuggin does not work anymore after v. 3.2
    > and a solution seems to be quite some time away and rdb is a little
    > unhandy for a lazy type like me...
    >
    > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    vim/gvim

    Brian Adkins, Apr 13, 2007
  17. ChrisKaelin

    Erwin Abbott Guest

    Re: Computer Science Math - For the Uninitiated

    Sorting algorithms are typically covered in college computer science
    classes with titles like "Data Structures & Algorithms". Sorting is a
    CS topic and it doesn't appear to be studied in many math
    departments... but some "Discrete Math/Number Theory" kinds of courses
    might cover related topics. Donald Knuth has a set of books called
    "The Art of Computer Programming" that are very good for learning all
    kinds of algorithms and how to apply them. I think Volume 3 deals
    specifically with sorts/sieves.

    Erwin Abbott, Apr 13, 2007
  18. 2007/4/13, Brian Adkins <>:

    > > So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    > vim/gvim

    me too, with the "commonsense" (tm) technology included.

    --
    John Mettraux -///- http://jmettraux.openwfe.org

    John Mettraux, Apr 13, 2007
  19. Brian Adkins wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 03:54:49 -0700, ChrisKaelin wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> So what IDE do you prefer in order to code and to debug ruby?

    > vim/gvim

    I'm just curious whether Vim supports Ruby debugging? I've googled out
    just some information about "How it would be technically possible". But
    not any working implementation. So is there any?

    Thanks,
    m.

    Martin Krauskopf, Apr 13, 2007
  20. ChrisKaelin

    yang cao Guest

    who can tell me how to close vim-ruby plugins' auto-complete?
    when i type <C-p> in insert mode,it always search the whole .rb files
    in ruby lib folder,
    and it's slow...

    thanks
    cy