What is your favourite IDE?

Jeremy Tregunna

That sounds slightly condescending.

Yeah, I know. My apologies.
I haven't dealt with object oriented programming in a great many
languages. I've run up against it in C++, Object Pascal, Objective C,
PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, and VB, at least. I may have forgotten a
couple. I happen to like Ruby's more than Obj-C's, which I tend to
like
more than that of any of the rest of the languages I've mentioned (as
far as I recall -- I don't remember OOP in Object Pascal much, for
instance). I like the general structure of OOP in Python more than
any
of the rest of them except Ruby, but I dislike Python in general,
so it
loses out.

Does that give you a clearer idea of where my comments are arising?

Yup, it was just as suspected -- not one single prototype language in
that bunch; I might suggest if you enjoy languages, you check out one
or two. Javascript is one, though not necessarily the most robust. Io
is another, though very young. Prototype languages have spoiled me
with the whole "use objects like classes if you want, but we're not
going to make you do it that way" philosophy. I tend to find a lot of
the Ruby code I write these days reflects that style, as it's
conceptually easier to understand in my opinion.

Chad Perrin

Yup, it was just as suspected -- not one single prototype language in
that bunch; I might suggest if you enjoy languages, you check out one
or two. Javascript is one, though not necessarily the most robust. Io
is another, though very young. Prototype languages have spoiled me
with the whole "use objects like classes if you want, but we're not
going to make you do it that way" philosophy. I tend to find a lot of
the Ruby code I write these days reflects that style, as it's
conceptually easier to understand in my opinion.

I know a bit of Javascript, but not enough to have done any real OOP in
the language. Just enough to do a whole lot of web development (the
"right" way, with most program logic on the server rather than the
client). I've been meaning to get more immersed in ECMAScript at some
point, but there are a number of other languages ahead of it in line for
me right now. Io is going to have to wait even longer.

Currently, my "next learning project" stuff is mostly functional in
nature -- improving my understanding of UCBLogo as part of actually
finishing the "Computer Science Logo Style" trilogy of university texts
and increasing my grok of Objective Caml seem to be the almost certain
next two languages. Achieving some kind of real competence with either
Common Lisp or Scheme strikes me as something I'm likely to pursue
sooner rather than later -- some implementation of ECMAScript 4 will
probably be after that. Of course, Perl 6 will be fit into my schedule
somewhere along the way, after it starts appearing in release candidate
forms.

If you have other suggestions of prototype-based OO languages that you
think I'd like to fit into the schedule sooner, I'm open to suggestions.

Chad Perrin

That's not to say that prototype-oriented languages aren't neat. IO[1]
is one; TADS[2] is another, understandably not often considered (given
its limited scope). I've been playing with IO quite a bit the past few
days and, frankly, I'm just about in love it.

(There are no classes, and no inheritance; objects are cloned from
other objects and modified as necessary.)

That sounds really interesting. I may have to look into that sooner
than I expected I would -- but still probably not this year, alas. I
already have too many other programming learning projects lined up in
front of me, including reading at least five books about three different
languages (one being about Ruby). That's a lot to take in, but the New
Year's resolution must be obeyed.

Eric Promislow

By duplication I meant several different extensions for ruby-debug-base
with the same aim.

I would like to implement DBGp (ruby-debug-dbgp?) extension for
ruby-debug-base in the future if nobody else do so in the meantime. That
would be easily utilized by any frontend then. Currently Markus
Barchfeld implemented ruby-debug-special_xml_based_protocol extension
for ruby-debug-base which is also pretty frontend-independent.

I think that ideal state would be to have one debugger backends central
utilized by all frontends and all peoples from frontends would work
together on those backends. E.g. in the Rubyforge's debug-commons project ;)

m.

We'll be shipping the full code for the dbgp-based debugger in the
next beta
for Komodo 4.1. You'll need to check the license before you reuse
it. The
current Ruby debugger allows reuse under the same terms as the Ruby
license,
and I expect that will continue.

- Eric

Martin Krauskopf

Eric said:
[...]

[...]

Thanks for the info Eric. I would contact you before doing anything
related to dbgp-based debugger about possible cooperation. The
debug-commons is young but in the future we would like to get together
as much ruby-debug works as possible.

m.

PS: I think that DLTK people also doing something similar, dbgp based
ruby-debug.

Chad Perrin

Since you mentioned common lisp, I would highly recommend looking at CLOS
(Common Lisp Object System). I found it a very refreshing approach and
extremely convienient/fast to develop in. It is one of those things that made
me a little excited, but at the same time, I felt it would take me years before
I really appreciated the power it presented. I've found it a fun way to
prototype and experiment with ideas.

Thanks -- I'm sure I'll want to learn about CLOS as part of learning
Common Lisp. I've heard only good things about it.

arjun ghosh

have u tried using e-texteditor. It is like textmate but for windows. cool
for ruby coding

Zundra Daniel

I agree e text editor is great. I just wish there was a Linux version.

Florian Gilcher