What JRE version are you using?

Nathan

I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

Thanks!

Nathan

dimitar

Depends on your audience. I'd say forget about Java 1.1.

Sun have End-of-Lined 1.2 and 1.3, but there are quite a number of
real-life projects using them (especially in the corporate environments.)

1.4 is stable and delivers most of the niceties of 1.5 except the syntax
sugar and the management APIs.

So my guesstimate is:
- 60% of the real world projects can use Java 5
- 80% for 1.4
- 95% for 1.3
- virtually all for 1.2

Mickey Segal

dimitar said:
Depends on your audience. I'd say forget about Java 1.1.

For hospital computers I still see the Microsoft JVM (which is 1.1) quite
frequently. I don't know how much of the reason is inertia and how much is
the fact that the Microsoft JVM runs the GUI of Java 1.1 applets much faster
than any of the Sun JVMs ever did.

Jeffrey Schwab

Nathan said:
I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

I have the luxury of targeting 1.5. Some of my company's internal
software still requires the MS JVM, though.

Alan Krueger

Nathan said:
I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

The shop in which I work only recently pushed beyond 1.3 into requiring
1.4.2 as a minimum. Some of our customers were still using older Java
application servers from a certain large database vendor[1] that ran on
1.3 and they didn't want to risk upgrading.

[1] The one that doesn't appear to know the difference between NULL
columns and empty strings, and doesn't think case-insensitive indexes
are all that useful.

steve

Nathan said:
I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

The shop in which I work only recently pushed beyond 1.3 into requiring
1.4.2 as a minimum. Some of our customers were still using older Java
application servers from a certain large database vendor[1] that ran on
1.3 and they didn't want to risk upgrading.

[1] The one that doesn't appear to know the difference between NULL
columns and empty strings, and doesn't think case-insensitive indexes
are all that useful.

don't you be slagging off oracle like that.
;-)

Steve

Roedy Green

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

For MS compatibility, now much less important, 1.1.
For general use 1.4
for in house 1.5

Oliver Wong

Nathan said:
I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

Stats from my department are probably not too useful, since most of the
code produced here is only used internally, but we've been targetting 1.6
for a couple of months now.

- Oliver

Lee Peedin

I work on a math expression parser library called JEP
(http://www.singularsys.com/jep). We are curious what Java version
compatibility developers typically require these days (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
1.4, 1.5?).

What minimum JRE version are you designing for? Also, if you know of
any surveys that are published on the web, that would be useful as
well.

Thanks!

Nathan

OK, I'm going to jump in here (probably where I don't belong). I
don't code in Java, but read this NG on a daily basis in hopes of
gleaning some pointers. I actually code in ooRexx using BSF4Rexx that
allows me to use any Java class in Rexx. Don't want to start a
"language" war here - just providing some background info.

I had been targeting 1.5 since I assumed that was what was being
installed on all new systems; however, I just recently purchased a new
Dell E1705 laptop only to find that it came with 1.4. :-(

I immediately upgraded to 1.5; however I run SUSE 10.0 & Win98SE as
VMs on this system and they both have 1.4. So in reality my target is
still 1.4. I normally develop my ooRexx/BSF4Rexx applications under
WinXP & 1.5, but immediately test them on the two VMs running 1.4.

My personal opinion is that until the pre-loaded hardware vendors
begin installing something higher than 1.4, then that will need to be
the target JRE.

Lee Peedin
President RexxLA

Thomas Hawtin

Lee said:
I had been targeting 1.5 since I assumed that was what was being
installed on all new systems; however, I just recently purchased a new
Dell E1705 laptop only to find that it came with 1.4. :-(

Presumably it's shipped with Java autoupdate enabled. That would mean
it'd immediately get upgraded to 1.5.

Tom Hawtin

Lee Peedin

Presumably it's shipped with Java autoupdate enabled. That would mean
it'd immediately get upgraded to 1.5.

Tom Hawtin
Hmmm, hadn't thought about that, guess I was so busy removing all the
AOL and other junk that comes on pre-loaded systems, that I didn't
even give it a chance to update Java itself.

Lee