    database "D:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\ADROUTER\APP_DATA\ADROUTER.MDF" because the
    database is read-only.

    Source Error:
    mike, Nov 14, 2005

  2. It looks like the web account does not have the correct permissions to open
    the database in the directory in which it resides. MDF files need to create
    an LDF file when the DB opens - if the web account cant write it cant open
    the file.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 14, 2005

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    So what shoul i do?
    i've already change the write permission of directory in iis
    are there any permission that i would change?

    mike, Nov 15, 2005
  4. It's a bug...

    See :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=dd6d161b-df08-40bc-b9ed-fbca71949ddc

    Here's the workaround suggested by Microsoft :

    1. Delete the MDF/LDF files from the App_Data directory of the website under
    inetpub\wwwroot.

    2. Download and install the SSEUTIL command line tool from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...28-173F-472E-A85C-27ED01CF6B02&displaylang=en

    3. Using sseutil, issue a command that looks something like:
    sseutil -child "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" -detach D:\

    You will need to change the account name and the detach path to match your
    machine settings. If on IIS5/5.1, then ASPNET will be the correct user account.

    Also, you can determine the detach path pretty easily by issuing sseutil -list to see
    where the problematic MDFs are currently attached. The "D:\" in the sample
    command line is just the first few characters that sseutil uses to auto-detach all
    databases that begin with "D:\". Change the path as neeeded for your machine.

    4. Set the ACLs on App_Data directory under inetpub\wwwroot to grant R/W
    to the appropriate process account - NETWORK SERVICE on WS03
    or ASPNET on IIS5/5.1.

    5. Re-copy the MDF/LDF files from the directory where the file-based website
    exists back into App_Data under inetpub\wwwroot. After the copy occurs,
    check that the MDF/LDF files have now inherited the new ACLs.

    6. Re-run the application (ignore any connection errors that might occur
    - just hit refresh in the browser).

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 15, 2005
  5. re:
    > It looks like the web account does not have the correct permissions to open the database
    > in the directory in which it resides.

    Correct. It's a bug. See my previous reply for the complete fix.

    re:
    > MDF files need to create an LDF file when the DB opens - if the web account cant write
    > it cant open the file.

    Are you thinking of mdb and ldb files ?

    LDF stands for Log Data File. It's where SSE keeps its data logs.
    It has nothing to do with security, like it does for Access MDBs.

    Write access is needed for it, but not for security reasons.

    To Mike :

    I guess I should have warned you to make sure you have backups
    of both the MDF and LDF files before you delete them per the
    instructions offered by Microsoft as a fix, included in my previous reply.

    I hope you read this in time... ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 15, 2005
  6. eek!........thats what I meant..

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 15, 2005
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    THHHHHHHANKS ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

    mike, Nov 16, 2005