  1. nb

    nb Guest

    What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    nb, Dec 29, 2003

  2. nb

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    nb wrote:

    > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    Problems in the computer domain.

    Rolf Magnus, Dec 29, 2003

  3. nb

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    nb wrote:
    > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
    advantage you get from using C++.

    In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
    particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
    anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
    scripting language, e.g. Perl. For frequent calculations involving
    large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
    you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
    vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.

    -Jeff

    Jeff Schwab, Dec 29, 2003
  4. "nb" <> schreef in bericht
    > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    The ones that make you go oooooh

    Wouter Lievens, Dec 29, 2003
  5. "Jeff Schwab" <> schreef in bericht
    > nb wrote:
    > > What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    > Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
    > advantage you get from using C++.
    >
    > In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
    > particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
    > anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
    > scripting language, e.g. Perl.

    Are you considering expressiveness or performance?
    I don't know why C++ would score less in string manipulation performance
    than Perl would...

    > For frequent calculations involving
    > large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
    > you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
    > vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.
    >
    > -Jeff

    Microsoft Visual Basic tends to be better!

    (I hope it is realised that I am kidding)

    Wouter Lievens, Dec 29, 2003
  6. nb

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Wouter Lievens wrote:
    > "Jeff Schwab" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    >>nb wrote:
    >>
    >>>What kind of problems is c++ best at solving?

    >>Complicated ones. The more broadly defined the problem, the more
    >>advantage you get from using C++.
    >>
    >>In D&E, Stroustrup says C++ never was intended to be "best" at any
    >>particular task. However, it should be at least second-best at almost
    >>anything. For string manipulation, you might want a particular
    >>scripting language, e.g. Perl.

    > Are you considering expressiveness or performance?

    Expressiveness, assuming performance to be roughly equal.

    > I don't know why C++ would score less in string manipulation performance
    > than Perl would...

    Then you don't really know Perl. :) Seriously, as the quality of C++
    regex libraries improves, they certainly have the potential to become
    faster than Perl. For the time being, though, I'm not sure. It would
    be difficult to right code optimized for pattern-searching the way Perl is.

    >>For frequent calculations involving
    >>large arrays of numbers, Fortran may be your first choice. However, if
    >>you have to tackle a problem that involves both string manipulation and
    >>vector mathematics, I don't know of a more appropriate language than C++.
    >>
    >>-Jeff

    > Microsoft Visual Basic tends to be better!
    >

    > (I hope it is realised that I am kidding)

    You almost gave me a heart-attack. I was about to go on a rant the
    likes of which have not been seen in many a year.

    -Jeff

    Jeff Schwab, Dec 29, 2003
  7. nb

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Jeff Schwab wrote:

    > It would be difficult to right code

    :(

    *Write* code.

    Jeff Schwab, Dec 29, 2003
  8. nb

    Ray Gardener Guest

    I believe Stroustrup said that C++ was more suited
    (than C, anyway) for systems programming, or
    for programming "in the large".

    fwiw, I have certainly found that to be the case
    in my own experience transitioning from C to C++.

    Ray

    Ray Gardener, Dec 30, 2003