    this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    what an appropriate forum would be.

    , Nov 15, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > what an appropriate forum would be.

    There might be better places to discuss this. My short answer would be
    that it is highly context dependent. Somewhere it is just a label given
    to people to justify a raise, some other place senior starts with 4
    years and even other places with 10 programming languages mastered or 20
    projects finished...

    Cheers

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 15, 2006

    You're senior if you know more about Java, and have been developing
    longer than at least two other people on your Java team. ;)

    Makes me think of the banks, where everyone is a Vice President.

    Cheers!

    -Cameron McKenzie
    Author of the SCJA Certification Guide and What is WebSphere?

    Certification Resources: www.examscam.com
    Free WebSphere Tutorials: www.pulpjava.com
    Free Mock Java Certification Exams: www.scja.com
    Free J2EE and Java Multimedia Tutorials: www.mcnz.com

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > > what an appropriate forum would be.

    > There might be better places to discuss this. My short answer would be
    > that it is highly context dependent. Somewhere it is just a label given
    > to people to justify a raise, some other place senior starts with 4
    > years and even other places with 10 programming languages mastered or 20
    > projects finished...
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > robert

    , Nov 15, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this?

    Different places means different conventions.

    I would define a senior developer as one that does not
    need any supervision.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Nov 16, 2006
  5. <> wrote in message
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > what an appropriate forum would be.

    I'd define a senior developer as one who can build software that's
    efficient, reliable, maintainable, and testable.

    Mike Schilling, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Danno Guest

    wrote:
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > what an appropriate forum would be.

    If you can't hold your pee while you code, you are a senior developer.

    Danno, Nov 16, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > -Cameron McKenzie
    > Author of the SCJA Certification Guide and What is WebSphere?
    >

    > Certification Resources: www.examscam.com
    > Free WebSphere Tutorials: www.pulpjava.com
    > Free Mock Java Certification Exams: www.scja.com
    > Free J2EE and Java Multimedia Tutorials: www.mcnz.com

    Would the esteemed author please consider following common Usenet
    netiquette?

    a) Do not top-post. If you don't know what top-posting is, google for it.

    b) Put your advertising in your signature. If you don't know how a
    proper Usenet signature looks like, google for it.

    c) Don't use a signature (once you have one) larger than four lines of
    72 characters (sans the signature separator).

    Thank you for listening to this important security announcement.

    /Thomas

    PS: Bonus points for using a real Usenet reader instead of that Google junk.
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hierarchy/comp/comp.lang.java.gui/

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Nov 16, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > what an appropriate forum would be.

    Maybe "senior" developers qualify for the discount Sunday-morning
    breakfast at Bickford's.

    Jeffrey Schwab, Nov 16, 2006
  9. Chris Uppal Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > I would define a senior developer as one that does not
    > need any supervision.

    I'm inclined to agree that that's the critical distinction, although I would
    go a bit further and say that the "senior" developer is the one who is capable
    of providing said supervision.

    Or who is /supposed/ to be capable...

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 16, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    > "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    > don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    > looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    > this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    > what an appropriate forum would be.

    This is a delicate question. But I think you are ready for it.

    When a boy senior developer and a girl senior developer really like
    each other, they express their love in a physical way. Sometimes this
    results in the boy senior developer's sperm fertilizing the girl senior
    developer's egg. This is what makes a senior developer.

    Furious George, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Court Jester Guest

    Without sounding cynical a senior developer is someone who can
    confidently write rubbish code.

    Court Jester, Nov 16, 2006
  12. Robert Klemme wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    >> "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    >> don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    >> looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    >> this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    >> what an appropriate forum would be.

    > There might be better places to discuss this. My short answer would be
    > that it is highly context dependent. Somewhere it is just a label given
    > to people to justify a raise, some other place senior starts with 4
    > years and even other places with 10 programming languages mastered or 20
    > projects finished...

    "10 programming languages mastered or 20 projects finished..." seems an
    excessively demanding requirement.

    I don't qualify, and my job title was "senior programmer analyst" about
    twenty-five years ago.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 16, 2006
  13. Court Jester wrote:
    > Without sounding cynical a senior developer is someone who can
    > confidently write rubbish code.

    Cool! I qualify. Do I need a special card to get my discount at
    Bickfords?

    Furious George, Nov 16, 2006
  14. On 16.11.2006 15:16, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> OK a bit of a duff question but it seems that everyone I work with is a
    >>> "senior" developer. Now I've been working with Java for over 5 years I
    >>> don't think that I would class myself as senior in the same way as I
    >>> looked up to developers when I began. So what are peoples thoughts on
    >>> this? If this is inappropriate forum for this discussion let me know
    >>> what an appropriate forum would be.

    >> There might be better places to discuss this. My short answer would
    >> be that it is highly context dependent. Somewhere it is just a label
    >> given to people to justify a raise, some other place senior starts
    >> with 4 years and even other places with 10 programming languages
    >> mastered or 20 projects finished...

    > "10 programming languages mastered or 20 projects finished..." seems an
    > excessively demanding requirement.
    >
    > I don't qualify, and my job title was "senior programmer analyst" about
    > twenty-five years ago.

    Which exactly proves my point: there is no common agreed definition of
    "senor developer". :)

    Take care

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 16, 2006
  15. Chris Smith Guest

    Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > Which exactly proves my point: there is no common agreed definition of
    > "senor developer". :)

    I don't speak the language well, but my understanding is that "Senor
    Developer" (assuming a tilde) roughly translates as "Mr. Developer"

    (Okay, I know; bad joke...)

    --
    Chris Smith

    Chris Smith, Nov 16, 2006
  16. Chris Smith wrote:
    > Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    >> Which exactly proves my point: there is no common agreed definition of
    >> "senor developer". :)

    > I don't speak the language well, but my understanding is that "Senor
    > Developer" (assuming a tilde) roughly translates as "Mr. Developer"
    >
    > (Okay, I know; bad joke...)

    I still don't qualify. :-(

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 16, 2006
  17. Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Chris Smith wrote:
    >> Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    >>> Which exactly proves my point: there is no common agreed definition
    >>> of "senor developer". :)

    >> I don't speak the language well, but my understanding is that "Senor
    >> Developer" (assuming a tilde) roughly translates as "Mr. Developer"
    >>
    >> (Okay, I know; bad joke...)
    >>

    > I still don't qualify. :-(

    Mademoiselle Developeur?

    Jeffrey Schwab, Nov 16, 2006
  18. On 16.11.2006 16:23, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Chris Smith wrote:
    >> Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    >>> Which exactly proves my point: there is no common agreed definition
    >>> of "senor developer". :)

    >> I don't speak the language well, but my understanding is that "Senor
    >> Developer" (assuming a tilde) roughly translates as "Mr. Developer"
    >>
    >> (Okay, I know; bad joke...)
    >>

    > I still don't qualify. :-(

    LOL

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 16, 2006
  19. Stefan Ram Guest

    writes:
    >What makes a senior developer?

    Senior developers write their question into the body of their
    message.

    More seriously, "senior developer" is a title granted by the
    employer. So, a senior developer is any individual, who has
    been granted this title by its employer. This does not require
    or indicate any occupational skill or professional
    qualification, as the employer is free to grant this title as
    he pleases.

    Stefan Ram, Nov 16, 2006
  20. Ian Wilson Guest

    Jeffrey Schwab wrote:
    > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Smith wrote:

    >>> I don't speak the language well, but my understanding is that "Senor
    >>> Developer" (assuming a tilde) roughly translates as "Mr. Developer"
    >>>
    >>> (Okay, I know; bad joke...)
    >>>

    >> I still don't qualify. :-(

    > Mademoiselle Developeur?

    My French and Spanish is pretty poor but I imagine that Señora (or
    Señorita) would be the gender-correct equivalent of Señor .

    I usually think of PS as a seniorer developer anyway :)

    (in that she seems more authoritative than most senior developers).

    Ian Wilson, Nov 16, 2006