    the new technology ? I prefer read a lot , understood and than start to
    code.
    Jarod

    Jarod, Nov 18, 2005

  2. If you are totally unfamiliar with something, then I think reading books is
    the best. But I would not read with the expectation of memorizing the
    contents, but rather get an understanding of what the technology can do.

    Once you have a high-level understanding of the technology, then think about
    a program that you might like to write. With that in mind, I find it
    easiest to learn new stuff if you have a goal. Think about all the stuff
    that the program will require, for instance maybe you want to do something
    with XML or database or reflection, and then dive deeper into those topics
    so that you learn enough to implement your application. Then put your
    application on Sourceforge for all to marvel in.

    Once I understand what the technology can do and I start to try to use it,
    then I use MSDN to verify the syntax for the commands I want to use.

    Peter Rilling, Nov 18, 2005

  3. Hi Jarod,

    I sometimes start with a book to "get my feet wet." However, after awhile, I
    depend almost entirely upon reference materials, such as (my favorite) the
    MSDN Library. The .Net SDKs are freely downloadable, and include
    version-specific editions of the MSDN Library, which you may use on your
    local machine if you prefer that over the online version (I sometimes use
    both). You can find them at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

    I also use Google extensively and have a library of my own bookmarks that I
    have accumulated. The WWW is an incredible wealth of information, if you
    know how to find it. Practice makes perfect! I spend at least an hour or 2 a
    day in studying such materials, even after about a dozen years as a
    programmer.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer