What motivates all unpaid volunteers at Pycon?

seberino

I was impressed and humbled by all the unpaid volunteers at Pycon.

I was wondering what motivated so many people to give so much to the
Python community.

(I have my guesses but I'd rather listen than assume I know.)

Any ideas?

Chris

Tim Chase

I was wondering what motivated so many people to give so much to the
Python community.

fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion
to the BDFL, and nice red uniforms.

Oh...

-tkc

Aahz

I was impressed and humbled by all the unpaid volunteers at Pycon.

What about the unpaid volunteers who weren't at PyCon? ;-)
I was wondering what motivated so many people to give so much to the
Python community.

There really isn't any simple answer. Most people seem to be motivated
to help out their communities, and Python certainly has a substantial
community associated with it. However, that motivation plays out in
different ways for each person; some people create patches for Python and
others volunteer for PyCon.

seberino

There really isn't any simple answer. Most people seem to be motivated
to help out their communities,

I still think all this unselfishness is noteworthy
and curious.

Chris

Ed Leafe

I still think all this unselfishness is noteworthy
and curious.

Assuming that people get nothing back by participating in a
community, yes, it would be curious. My experience, though, is that I
get a lot more out of it than I could ever contribute. IOW, it's a
great example of synergy.

-- Ed Leafe

seberino

community, yes, it would be curious. My experience, though, is that I
get a lot more out of it than I could ever contribute. IOW, it's a
great example of synergy.

What do the people get back who did all the hard work at registration
desk and
preparing conference attendee bags? ...who did all hotel preparations?

Chris

Martin v. Löwis

What do the people get back who did all the hard work at registration
desk and
preparing conference attendee bags? ...who did all hotel preparations?

I think these questions are better asked at the pycon organizers list,
than on comp.lang.python (which none of the volunteers may actually
read to answer your questions).

Regards,
Martin

Ed Leafe

What do the people get back who did all the hard work at registration
desk and
preparing conference attendee bags? ...who did all hotel preparations?

You'll have to ask them. When I've been a part of events like this,
just knowing that I contributed is a great feeling. I also usually end
up meeting several people I might not have otherwise met, and
invariably that makes the experience much, much richer.

-- Ed Leafe

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
What do the people get back who did all the hard work at registration
desk and
preparing conference attendee bags? ...who did all hotel preparations?

I can't speak for them, but I'd think they feel like they *already* got
at least a couple things 'back': a language they like, and a helpful
community.

Just my 2 cents...