    please ?

    thanks
    Nigel

    Nigel Noldsworth, Dec 14, 2009

  2. Nigel Noldsworth

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:48:56 -0800 (PST), Nigel Noldsworth
    <> wrote:

    >Hello there,
    >
    >I see a lot of spam when using this VHDL group in google groups. Can
    >you tell me what do you use to send and receive postings without those
    >spams ?
    >
    >I saw on random internet websites I should use emacs. I have emacs on
    >my fedora 12, however can you please tell me how to configure it
    >please ?

    I use Agent as the newsreader but the heavy lifting for the filters is
    done by Hamster Playground http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/pg/.

    Essentially, to kill most of the spam it's necessary to look at more
    than the information that is available in the mandatory headers (From,
    Date, Newsgroups, Subject, Message-ID, Path).

    Other header fields are useful, such as Injection-Info, X-Trace, and
    NNTP-Posting-Host, as is the message body itself, where spammers often
    include a link to their website.

    But to get to that information, it's necessary to download the complete
    contents of every post. If you're only filtering on text groups, that
    can be done by installing a local Usenet server like the one that's part
    of Hamster Playground. That server connects to your upstream Usenet feed
    and you point your newsreader to the local server, usually through the
    loopback IP (127.0.0.1).

    I've been quite pleased with Hamster Playground, although I can't seem
    to convince it to use SSL.

    See the Usenet Improvement Project (originally located at
    http://improve-usenet.org/ but that site is having problems; use the
    mirror at http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/index.html) for more
    options such as nFilter/NewsProxy and the original Hamster Classic.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Dec 14, 2009

  3. Nigel Noldsworth

    Chris Abele Guest

    On 12/14/2009 2:43 PM, Rich Webb wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:48:56 -0800 (PST), Nigel Noldsworth
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello there,
    >>
    >> I see a lot of spam when using this VHDL group in google groups. Can
    >> you tell me what do you use to send and receive postings without those
    >> spams ?
    >>
    >> I saw on random internet websites I should use emacs. I have emacs on
    >> my fedora 12, however can you please tell me how to configure it
    >> please ?

    > I use Agent as the newsreader but the heavy lifting for the filters is
    > done by Hamster Playground http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/pg/.
    >
    > Essentially, to kill most of the spam it's necessary to look at more
    > than the information that is available in the mandatory headers (From,
    > Date, Newsgroups, Subject, Message-ID, Path).
    >
    > Other header fields are useful, such as Injection-Info, X-Trace, and
    > NNTP-Posting-Host, as is the message body itself, where spammers often
    > include a link to their website.
    >
    > But to get to that information, it's necessary to download the complete
    > contents of every post. If you're only filtering on text groups, that
    > can be done by installing a local Usenet server like the one that's part
    > of Hamster Playground. That server connects to your upstream Usenet feed
    > and you point your newsreader to the local server, usually through the
    > loopback IP (127.0.0.1).
    >
    > I've been quite pleased with Hamster Playground, although I can't seem
    > to convince it to use SSL.
    >
    > See the Usenet Improvement Project (originally located at
    > http://improve-usenet.org/ but that site is having problems; use the
    > mirror at http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/index.html) for more
    > options such as nFilter/NewsProxy and the original Hamster Classic.

    Or you can use any newsreader (I use Thunderbird, but even Outlook
    Express would work) with a news server that does a better job of
    filtering. Both News.Individual (low cost) and News.Eternal-September
    (free) are nearly spam free.

    Chris

    Chris Abele, Dec 15, 2009
  4. Nigel Noldsworth

    Chris Abele, Dec 15, 2009
  5. Nigel Noldsworth

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:22:39 -0500, Chris Abele <>
    wrote:

    >Or you can use any newsreader (I use Thunderbird, but even Outlook
    >Express would work) with a news server that does a better job of
    >filtering. Both News.Individual (low cost) and News.Eternal-September
    >(free) are nearly spam free.

    Fair point. Along with simple user inertia (guilty) there are trade-offs
    for completeness and retention times as well as spamosity (spamness?)
    and personal preference.

    I tend to prefer an unfiltered feed where *I* decide what to suppress
    but it is a bit more work up front.

    Even taking on a spam-free feed, I'd still want to run the local server
    in order to drop a few sock-puppets like "Archimedes' Lever" and his
    dozens of pseudonyms.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Dec 15, 2009