What other newsgroups...

Kenny McCormack

What other newsgroups (if any) have the same (or similar) ridiculous and
absurd topicality requirements that this one (clc) has?

I know that none of the normal/script/user-oriented languages, such as AWK,
Perl, Python, shell, etc do. I'm guessing that maybe some of the other
"classical 3GL" type languages, like maybe Fortran or Pascal, might, but
somehow I doubt it. Since C is the only language that I program in that
seems to have this (ridiculous) topicaly stuff in its newsgroup, I thought
I'd ask what other groups might also have it.

Randy Howard

Kenny McCormack wrote
(in article said:
What other newsgroups (if any) have the same (or similar) ridiculous and
absurd topicality requirements that this one (clc) has?

If you are trying to point out that most Usenet groups are not
nearly as well focused as this one, then we already know that.
Thanks.

If you have another Usenet group which you like better, then by
all means go there.

Kenny McCormack

Kenny McCormack wrote

If you are trying to point out that most Usenet groups are not
nearly as well focused as this one, then we already know that.
Thanks.

Now whatever give ya dat idea?

(I.e., what parts of the words "ridiculous" and "absurd" are you having
trouble with today?)

Michael Mair

Kenny said:
What other newsgroups (if any) have the same (or similar) ridiculous and
absurd topicality requirements that this one (clc) has?

de.comp.lang.c

-Michael

Kenneth Brody

Kenny said:
What other newsgroups (if any) have the same (or similar) ridiculous and
absurd topicality requirements that this one (clc) has?

I'd hardly call staying on-topic "ridiculous and absurd". Every Usenet
group I know of has "on-topic" and "off-topic" topics.

Why don't you try asking about getting data off of your crashed hard drive
over in alt.tech-support.recovery and see what happens? :)
I know that none of the normal/script/user-oriented languages, such as AWK,
Perl, Python, shell, etc do. I'm guessing that maybe some of the other
"classical 3GL" type languages, like maybe Fortran or Pascal, might, but
somehow I doubt it. Since C is the only language that I program in that
seems to have this (ridiculous) topicaly stuff in its newsgroup, I thought
I'd ask what other groups might also have it.

So it's okay to ask COBOL questions in the Python group?

Perhaps a question about detecting the Meta key in the shell group?

Maybe asking for how to determine the free disk space over in the AWK
group?

Eric Sosman

Kenny said:
What other newsgroups (if any) have the same (or similar) ridiculous and
absurd topicality requirements that this one (clc) has?

Only the moderated groups have any requirements at
all. Other groups, comp.lang.c included, are easy targets
for anyone sufficiently bereft of common sense.

(Warning for the topically tone-deaf: Be careful to
temper your responses; don't just key them in at random
nor assume that every pitch has strings attached.)