what parallel C language does MIPS Pro C Compiler support?

Mark McIntyre

Looking back to see what was said I'm surprised there is an issue...
if I heard one of my kids (ages 11 && 6) say [expletive deleted] I would
probably laugh...

With my eldest aged 10, I'd laugh then tell him off. Age 14, I'd
merely laugh.
Don't you brits use the 'F' bomb as well?
passim...

Or is what
was posted the UK equivalent of the 'F' bomb in the states?

By no means - IME amongst anyone under the age of around 45, its a
mild and pretty inoffensive way of saying the F word.

Mark McIntyre

My point was there is no string "str" for which a strictly conforming
program can execute the statement fopen("str","w"). This is all I
intended by the original statement that you flagged as being 'wrong'.

If so, that wasn't at all clear. My point was that the standard
actually does define a "filename" so jacob navia's comment that
filenames cannot exist was rubbish.
Oh. Nearly all your messages arrived at the same time for me.

Yes, this is the problem with usenet - its heavily asynchronous.
not being
quite as familiar with usenet as you, I made the unwarrant assumption
that they were the product of an hour or so spent responding to every
single one of them [particularly since many of your responses didn't
seem like much time had been spent on them]. I'm sorry for my
misinterpretation.

Thats ok, I did get a bit heated. From my end your messages arrived
stretched over several days.

Richard Heathfield

Mark McIntyre said:
If, after all this, you choose to killfile me, thats your decision.
Frankly i'd consider it a shame. You may want to consider whether
you're doing precisely what I was doing earlier, vis overreacting.

Oh, it's not a question of over-reacting. Nor is it a question of being
"cross with you" or anything silly like that. It's simply that, because I
have children in the house, I choose not to let that kind of language into
my home. The killfile is, regrettably, about the only sensible way I have
of implementing that choice.

Incidentally, most people manage to communicate on Usenet without resorting
to language that others find offensive. When was the last time you saw,
say, Chris Torek use an expletive?

Richard Bos

Richard Heathfield said:
Mark McIntyre said:

Oh, it's not a question of over-reacting. Nor is it a question of being
"cross with you" or anything silly like that. It's simply that, because I
have children in the house, I choose not to let that kind of language into
my home.

I can only assume that you do not have a tv, a radio (or perhaps you
call it "wireless", or a newspaper. The words Mark used are hardly
civil, but far from uncommon. Unless you home-school your children and
keep them inside away from their neighbours, I can guarantee that they
will be hearing and seeing a lot worse on the streets every single day.
(When you said the same to me, a couple of years back, you had a
stronger case.)

Richard

Richard Heathfield

Richard Bos said:
I can only assume that you do not have a tv,

Correct. We have a DVD/VHS/PlayStation playback monitor; it does have some
other features, but we leave those unused.
The words Mark used are hardly civil, but far from uncommon.
Indeed.

Unless you home-school your children and
keep them inside away from their neighbours, I can guarantee that they
will be hearing and seeing a lot worse on the streets every single day.

I can guarantee that I will see plenty of rotting litter, broken glass, and
graffiti out on the streets any day I care to look. That doesn't mean I
must accept the presence of rotting litter, broken glass, and graffiti in
my living room.
(When you said the same to me, a couple of years back, you had a
stronger case.)

It was the same case, and it's as strong now as it was then.

I'm just wondering where
Mr. Bos comes from using swear words

....but I do wish he wouldn't do that. My children are becoming more and more
computer-literate. It would be a shame to have to bloat my killfile with
otherwise-respected regulars before I felt able to kindle my children's
interest in Usenet technical groups.

Mark McIntyre

Incidentally, most people manage to communicate on Usenet without resorting
to language that others find offensive.

I respectfully disagree - you presumably frequent a very polite set of
newsgroups. Over in say ntl.discussion.broadband.cm, expletives are, I
assure you, quite common! :)

However this is a highly nontopical discussion. I'm dropping it.

Kenny McCormack

Jordan Abel said:
I meant the claim that there is a majority who agree with you at all,
and who consider questions other than strict c89/c99-based ones to be
off-topic at all. Note that it's hardly unreasonable, just unproven. And
it's equally reasonable that the opposite is true.

I doubt there's a majority at all, as that term is usually interpreted.

My guess is there's about 12 "hard core regulars" that make up the core of
the group and insist on this silly topicality nonsense. Then, obviously,
when you count the half dozen or so "irregulars" (aka, "trolls" - or, in
religious terms, the heathen, like me, who don't buy into the catechism),
plus all the zillions of Googlers who obviously think this ng ought to
answer their questions, well, then you can see how silly it is to talk about
any kind of majority or mandate.