What Platform does GMAIL works

thomson

Hi folks,
Does any one have any idea which platform does GMAIL
works, whether its JSP, ASPX or any other

Regards

thomson

Juan T. Llibre

You can find that out, not only for gmail.com,
but for any other web server, by going to Netcraft and querying:

http://news.netcraft.com/

Just fill in gmail.com in the textbox, and hit the Search button.

The site report will tell you what OS and web platform the site uses.

S.M. Altaf [MVP]

That link didn't give me much info, but I do believe that GMail uses an
implementation of CGI and AJAX/XMLHTTP

-Altaf [MVP]

Juan T. Llibre

Hello, Altaf.

When I fill out the "What's that site running" textbox with gmail.com,
on the upper left corner of the page, and Hit the Search button,
the following page is sent to me :

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://gmail.com

On that site report, you'll notice that they use Linux for their OS,
and GWS 2.1 for their web server.

I also notice that they have had to reboot their web server,
which runs Linux, 10 times in less than one month.

I though that Linuxers claimed that they didn't need to reboot
as often as they claim the Windows platform needs to.

By contrast, checking www.microsoft.com yields the interesting fact
that it took almost 6 months for the Windows-based servers to need
to be rebooted 10 times.

;-)

Mark Rae

When I fill out the "What's that site running" textbox with gmail.com,

Does this work only with domains hosted in the US? If I try my own domain
(markrae.com), it doesn't tell me very much...

Juan T. Llibre

My site's info is tracked at :
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://asp.net.do
and I'm in the Dominican Republic, so it works worldwide.

See http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.markrae.com

It yields quite a bit of info, even for a first query.
Your site is ranked 7,005,518, for example.

The thing is that, if you've never been tracked via Netcraft, it places you in its
database for deeper probes ( like OS and web server software ) and your site
will be scanned at some future time ( I don't know how long it takes ).

Mark Rae

Your site is ranked 7,005,518, for example.

What does that actually mean...?
The thing is that, if you've never been tracked via Netcraft, it places
you in its
database for deeper probes ( like OS and web server software ) and your
site
will be scanned at some future time ( I don't know how long it takes ).

Ah...now I understand...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What does that actually mean...?

That's Google's PageRank.

PageRank performs a measurement of the importance of web pages by
solving an equation of more than 500 million variables and 2 billion terms.

Instead of counting direct links, PageRank interprets a link
from Page A to Page B as a vote for Page B by Page A.

PageRank then assesses a page's importance by the number of votes it receives.

PageRank also considers the importance of each page that casts a vote,
as votes from some pages are considered to have greater value,
giving the linked page greater value.

Pages which have a higher PageRank appear at the top of search results.

Jason Kester

Looks like they're just flipping between production servers whenever
they push a build live. I'd read that as they've pushed 10 releases in
the last month.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Jason Kester

Doesn't look like it to me. PageRank goes from 0 to 10, and seeing how
Google itself is at 1606, while Mark is all the way to 7,000,000 it
seems that maybe lower is better in this category.

But hey, even at 7 millionth place overall, you're still probably in
the top 25 when you exclude porn.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Lau Lei Cheong

Well, where do you see it reboots 10 times in less than one month?

I just see "Last reboot: unknown".

If you're saying the "hosting history", you can see the IP address
alternates, suggesting that it only suggest when it's IP address changes. :)

Actually, unless with active monitoring, I can't see there're some way to
record whether a server has been rebooted, and there're tools like "kexec"
that allow a reboot in Linux complete in a short time. (My Linux server,
which runs MySQL and Apache, reboots with downtime within 2 minute)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Well, where do you see it reboots 10 times in less than one month?

See the "Last changed" column.
That usually reflects an OS change...which implies a reboot.

Lau Lei Cheong said:
Well, where do you see it reboots 10 times in less than one month?

I just see "Last reboot: unknown".

If you're saying the "hosting history", you can see the IP address alternates,
suggesting that it only suggest when it's IP address changes. :)

Actually, unless with active monitoring, I can't see there're some way to record whether
a server has been rebooted, and there're tools like "kexec" that allow a reboot in Linux
complete in a short time. (My Linux server, which runs MySQL and Apache, reboots with
downtime within 2 minute)

thomson

Hi all,
What sort of technology they use. PHP, JSP, ASP,or ,,,,,,,,. Can
any one tell which server side scripting technology they use

Cheers

thomson

Juan T. Llibre

They use a closely-guarded platform, based on their propietary file system.
It's efficiency is more based on the file system than on the scripting technology.

It enables fast, accurate, file searches.

Hi all,
What sort of technology they use. PHP, JSP, ASP,or ,,,,,,,,. Can
any one tell which server side scripting technology they use

Cheers

thomson

Lau Lei Cheong

I don't think so.

That is a "Hosting history". So any status change to host information(IP is
one of them) qualify as a change, and if it's correct, a new "Last changed"
entry doesn't necessary mean a reboot of course.

See my previous post for other reason - I don't think there's any noticable
indicator avaliable to a server to mark it as recently rebooted other than
find out it's down for a while and up again. It's not a necessary networking
functionality and is an undesirable indicator to be released to the
outsiders. I personally can't think any server OS engineers with their right
mind, will think it's good to invent an mechanism for outsiders to know a
server's uptime and make it avaliable by default.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I personally can't think any server OS engineers with their right mind,
will think it's good to invent an mechanism for outsiders to know a
server's uptime and make it avaliable by default.

What you "personally think" and reality are not connected.

See : http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html

What is 'Uptime' ?
-------------------
The 'uptime' as presented in these reports is the "time since last reboot"
of the front end computer or computers that are hosting a site.

We can detect this by looking at the data that we record when we sample a site.

We can detect how long the responding computer(s) hosting a web site has been
running, and by recording these samples over a long period of time we can plot
graphs that show this as a line.
-------------------

Not all OS's provide uptime information.

Read the section titled:
"Which operating systems provide uptime information ?"
for an explanation.

See MS's uptime report :
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.microsoft.com

Lau Lei Cheong said:
I don't think so.

That is a "Hosting history". So any status change to host information(IP is one of them)
qualify as a change, and if it's correct, a new "Last changed" entry doesn't necessary
mean a reboot of course.

See my previous post for other reason - I don't think there's any noticable indicator
avaliable to a server to mark it as recently rebooted other than find out it's down for
a while and up again. It's not a necessary networking functionality and is an
undesirable indicator to be released to the outsiders. I personally can't think any
server OS engineers with their right mind, will think it's good to invent an mechanism
for outsiders to know a server's uptime and make it avaliable by default.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
It's curoius to know why Google entry with "https" will get such a high rank.

Their secure site is where Google accounts are created/managed.

Think of all the individual services Google provides;
then think of the millions of people subscribed to each service;
now think about the number of hits that will generate daily.

I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes Google collects sensitive information,
which it sends securely to that site ( probably with every search anybody makes... ).