What platforms have Python Virtual Machines and what version(s) of Python do they support?

Casey Hawthorne

What platforms have Python Virtual Machines and what version(s) of
Python do they support?
In particular:
Palm OS
PocketPC

What version of Python does Jython support?
Does any machine running a JVM support Jython?
Does it depend on the JVM version and if it's J2ME?

Thank you for your time!

Terry Reedy

Casey Hawthorne said:
What platforms have Python Virtual Machines and what version(s) of
Python do they support?
In particular:
Palm OS
PocketPC

Try using Google (Python PocketPC, for instance) or the equivalent

TJR

Fuzzyman

Hmmm... the page is a *bit* out of date (which is to be expected I
suppose).

There is a port of Python 2.3 for Pocket PC.

I think pippy is pretty dead and wasn't that useable. On this newsgroup
not long ago someone announced they were working on a new PalmOS port.

To the best of my knowledge jython is languishing at Python 2.1. The
PSF has funded a push to implement new style classes which will allow
it to be brought up to date.

I don't know the answer to the other jython questions thougj.

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python

Kent Johnson

Fuzzyman said:
To the best of my knowledge jython is languishing at Python 2.1. The
PSF has funded a push to implement new style classes which will allow
it to be brought up to date.

It's really not languishing any more. There is a lot of activity spearheaded by Brian Zimmer (who received the PSF grant) with help from several volunteers. They are planning an alpha release soon.

I think the current released Jython will run on Java 1.1 but the new one will require Java 1.2.

Kent