what relationship between this mail list and the python group onGoogle?

huzhenghui37

what relationship between this mail list and the python group on Google?
i saw the same info on both

Peter Hansen

huzhenghui37 said:
what relationship between this mail list and the python group on Google?
i saw the same info on both

They are the same. Mailing is mirrored to the Usenet group
comp.lang.python (that's what you are calling the "python group on
Google") while posts to the newsgroup are mirrored to the mailing
list.

-Peter

Robert M. Emmons

what relationship between this mail list and the python group on Google?
i saw the same info on both

Just some background. USENET or Network News is the second oldest
discussion forum group around. It's been around since the 1980's or
maybe 1970's. The Python forum is part of that. Incidently, the first
discussion forum network was "mailing lists". Often Newsgroups and
mailing lists are gatewayed to one another to provide both types of
access. Some other posters said this is true for the Python forum -- I
don't know either way.

Because Usenet discussions are so important in terms of information
content and reference material people started to archive these. One was
Dejanews (spelling?) which mirrored USENET so people could search
archives a decade or more old. Google a few years ago took over this
archiving and searching function which is nice. I use google group
searchs quite frequently. Goggle also offers submittale and other news
reading features also.

The point I want to make is that USENET is a unique forum system based
on collaboration among many many internet sites that put up and agreed
to share news groups among themselves and Google is just one participant
in this that provides some very nice user features. This is different
from other forums you see on say Yahoo, AOL/Compuserve, and the like.
Usenet is community based and not owned by any one group where the
others are commerical. It also tends to have more technical content
too. These are some of the reasons I prefer usenet.

Rob

Robert M. Emmons

Robert said:
Just some background. USENET or Network News is the second oldest
discussion forum group around. It's been around since the 1980's or
maybe 1970's.

What, in your opinion, was the first?