What should be my virtual directory using Form authentication in asp.net?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by COHENMARVIN, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. COHENMARVIN

    COHENMARVIN Guest

    I have a web site where I put my asp.net application in a folder called
    /asp.net/hotelallocation. I want it to be protected by a password, so
    I put a web.config file in that folder. But now when I try to access
    any page in that folder, I get an error message:
    "it is an error to use a section registered as
    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS"
    I looked at the message, and I wasn't clear what should be a virtual
    directory and what should be an application.
    Should I tell my server administrator to make /asp.net/hotelallocation
    into a virtual directory? should I tell him to make it into an
    application? How would he do this? What does it mean?
    The (short) web.config file follows:

    <configuration>
    <system.web>

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name="MyApp02" path="/asp.net/hotelallocation/" loginUrl =
    "login.aspx"
    protection="All" timeout="30">
    <credentials passwordFormat="Clear">
    <user name="agent" password="test" />