what should I purchase

Frank Bruhn MSN

Hi, hey I've been given a budget of about $4-5000 and want to get ASP.net
etc. I am having a problem figuring out if it is just ASP.net that I need.
The things I want are web design tools that will allow me to create ASP
pages and components, WML or mobile web capabilities, and XML capabilities,
I also want to move from Access database to something larger, maybe SQL
database,
should I be considering a MSDN universal subscription or maybe the whole
VisualStudio.net stuff. right now I do just basic ASP 2.0 and ASP 3.0 web
sites, I want to start using alot more ASP component stuff, really kinda
lost, all input is appreciated, take care

--
TIA and take care,
Frank Bruhn, Director

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Frank Bruhn MSN said:
Hi, hey I've been given a budget of about $4-5000 and want to get ASP.net
etc. I am having a problem figuring out if it is just ASP.net that I need.
The things I want are web design tools that will allow me to create ASP
pages and components, WML or mobile web capabilities, and XML capabilities,
I also want to move from Access database to something larger, maybe SQL
database,
should I be considering a MSDN universal subscription or maybe the whole
VisualStudio.net stuff. right now I do just basic ASP 2.0 and ASP 3.0 web
sites, I want to start using alot more ASP component stuff, really kinda
lost, all input is appreciated, take care

It's not clear - do you want to do ASP or ASP.NET?

An MSDN Universal subscription is probably overkill but will give you
everything you need (and more). If you just went with Visual Studio you
would at least get a better database to use over Access (SQL Server or
MSDE):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/howtobuy/choosing.aspx.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

everything you need (and more). If you just went with Visual Studio you
would at least get a better database to use over Access (SQL Server or
MSDE):

Actually, the licensing for MSDE changed recently, it is now pretty much
free... you don't need to buy Visual Studio or other products to obtain the
right to deploy it.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/redistregister.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/msdeuse.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/download.asp