What should I use under *nix instead of freeze?

Mike Kent

In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
utility, he stated:

"I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
maintained."

That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
on a *nix platform? I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
installation or development system.

Noah

In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
utility, he stated:

"I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
maintained."

That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
on a *nix platform? I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
installation or development system.

This isn't a complete answer -- it requires Python, but
you might figure out a way to also embed an interpreter and
libraries.
I remember seeing such an installation somewhere (I think on
SourceForge),
but I don't remember the name of it. At any rate, this explains how
package your python project and libs as a self-extracting compressed
executable:

http://www.noah.org/wiki/Python_zip_exe

Martin v. Löwis

"I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
maintained."

That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
on a *nix platform?

I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.

If you care about the feature (i.e. provide a single executable of
your application), you should contribute to maintenance of freeze.
Maybe there is only a few of you (because people typically assume
that Python comes preinstalled with *nix, so why would you have to
redistribute the interpreter?), but then, maintenance of freeze
doesn't take that much effort, either.
I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
installation or development system.

Please understand that it's not freeze that nobody cares about
anymore - it's this specific use case that nobody cares about anymore.
You must have a very odd collection of target systems if you can't
assume that a Python binary is provided by the system vendor. In
that case, consider giving back to the community, and contribute
any patches to freeze that you may find necessary.

Regards,
Martin

Wildemar Wildenburger

Martin said:
I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.

So haven't I understood what freeze does? Isn't pyinstaller just that?

/W

Martin v. Löwis

That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
So haven't I understood what freeze does? Isn't pyinstaller just that?

No. First, it works on Windows, Linux and Irix only, not on arbitrary
*nix systems. Second, it doesn't create a single executable, but depends
on the extension modules that the host Python interpreter uses. To
compile a simple "print 'Hello, world'" with Python 2.5 on Debian, I
get an executable consisting of 22 binaries.

Regards,
Martin

Eric Brunel

In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
utility, he stated:

"I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
maintained."

That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
on a *nix platform? I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
installation or development system.

Never used it, but it seems cx_Freeze
(http://python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/) does just that... Don't know
if it's maintained anymore, but versions are available for the latest
Python version (2.5).

HTH