    turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
    size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
    installation or development system.

    Mike Kent, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Mike Kent

    Noah Guest

    On Feb 1, 3:08 pm, Mike Kent <> wrote:
    > In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
    > utility, he stated:
    >
    > "I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
    > maintained."
    >
    > That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    > on a *nix platform? I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
    > turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
    > size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
    > installation or development system.

    This isn't a complete answer -- it requires Python, but
    you might figure out a way to also embed an interpreter and
    libraries.
    I remember seeing such an installation somewhere (I think on
    SourceForge),
    but I don't remember the name of it. At any rate, this explains how
    package your python project and libs as a self-extracting compressed
    executable:

    http://www.noah.org/wiki/Python_zip_exe

    --
    Noah Spurrier

    Noah, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Mike Kent wrote:
    > That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    > on a *nix platform?

    Don't know about best or preferred, but pyinstaller seems to do that.
    <URL:http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com>

    good luck
    /W

    Wildemar Wildenburger, Feb 2, 2008
  4. > "I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
    > maintained."
    >
    > That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    > on a *nix platform?

    I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.

    If you care about the feature (i.e. provide a single executable of
    your application), you should contribute to maintenance of freeze.
    Maybe there is only a few of you (because people typically assume
    that Python comes preinstalled with *nix, so why would you have to
    redistribute the interpreter?), but then, maintenance of freeze
    doesn't take that much effort, either.

    > I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
    > turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
    > size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
    > installation or development system.

    Please understand that it's not freeze that nobody cares about
    anymore - it's this specific use case that nobody cares about anymore.
    You must have a very odd collection of target systems if you can't
    assume that a Python binary is provided by the system vendor. In
    that case, consider giving back to the community, and contribute
    any patches to freeze that you may find necessary.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >> That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    >> on a *nix platform?

    > I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.

    So haven't I understood what freeze does? Isn't pyinstaller just that?

    /W

    Wildemar Wildenburger, Feb 2, 2008
  6. * Wildemar Wildenburger (Sat, 02 Feb 2008 01:39:05 +0100)
    > Mike Kent wrote:
    > > That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for
    > > freeze on a *nix platform?

    > Don't know about best or preferred, but pyinstaller seems to do
    > that. <URL:http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com>

    Doesn't work (on Linux).

    Thorsten

    Thorsten Kampe, Feb 2, 2008
  7. >>> That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    >>> on a *nix platform?

    >> I don't think that there is one, or that there should be one.
    >>

    > So haven't I understood what freeze does? Isn't pyinstaller just that?

    No. First, it works on Windows, Linux and Irix only, not on arbitrary
    *nix systems. Second, it doesn't create a single executable, but depends
    on the extension modules that the host Python interpreter uses. To
    compile a simple "print 'Hello, world'" with Python 2.5 on Debian, I
    get an executable consisting of 22 binaries.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 2, 2008
  8. Mike Kent

    Eric Brunel Guest

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:08:21 +0100, Mike Kent <> wrote:

    > In a comment Guido made on a recent bug report for the 'freeze'
    > utility, he stated:
    >
    > "I think nobody really cares about freeze any more -- it isn't
    > maintained."
    >
    > That being the case, what is the preferred/best replacement for freeze
    > on a *nix platform? I'm looking for something that, like freeze,
    > turns my application into a single-file executable, of the smallest
    > size possible, that can be executed on a machine with no Python
    > installation or development system.

    Never used it, but it seems cx_Freeze
    (http://python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/) does just that... Don't know
    if it's maintained anymore, but versions are available for the latest
    Python version (2.5).

    HTH
    'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"

    Eric Brunel, Feb 4, 2008