    If one or another is likely to win, which is currently the leader in
    the race?
    , May 1, 2006

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:
    > With all the slightly different flavours of feeds, (RSS 1.0, 2.0, 0.91,
    > Atom etc), what should we create 'new' feeds in, if we're coding them
    > from scratch?

    Damn good question.

    RSS 1.0 is still the most powerful and I use it for internal workflows,
    where I'm feeding a lot more than "neswfeed" content through the RSS
    pipeline. It's also easy to transcode 1.0 into Atom or 2.0

    Atom is a well-thought out spec and pretty capable. It does everything
    you could want for a public newsfeed. It's what I use for "newsfeeds".

    RSS 2.0 has no function other than as backwards compatibility to feed
    business-essential but borken newsreaders that don't understand Atom.
    If you need it, then sometimes you just need it. It's still ugly
    though,

    0.9* are dead and buried, as is Atom 0.3 and RSS 1.1

    > Will one or another 'win' the battle to become the de facto standard

    No.

    > will we be stuck with several different feed types all trying to do the
    > same thing for a long time to come?

    Yes 8-(
    Andy Dingley, May 2, 2006