    machine.
    what servers can we run for this purpose.please give details.
    we are publishing pages in JSP using tomcat server.

    pk, Feb 13, 2006

  2. pk

    Guest

    I think we have translation problems. If you are creating a mail
    server, why do you need to know how to run mail servers? If you mean,
    what do I need to know in order to comply with smtp and pop standards,
    the documents are refered to by their RFC numbers. search "rfc smtp"
    and you get technical documents relating to the smtp protocols.

    at no time would you use tomcat or jsp to handle smtp or pop requests.
    These would be handled by deamon processes running on your linux
    server. Writing a java program to handle incoming smtp requests would
    be possible, but silly. I use sendmail and qpopper. Does anybody not
    use sendmail?

    Look through your linux docs for setting up the smtp and pop daemons
    that come with the distribution. Use tomcat and JSP for web services.

    , Feb 13, 2006

  3. pk

    pk Guest

    hi,
    our project is titled linux mail server and thats why i had written
    that we are creating a mail server.
    I wanted to know how to keep the daemon processes running.
    We are using FC3.how do we configure it.

    pk, Feb 13, 2006
  4. pk

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 12 Feb 2006 23:02:59 -0800, "pk" <> wrote,

    >hi
    >mania,myself and one other are creating a linux mail server in java on
    >linux FC3.
    >we want to know how we can run a smtp and pop3 server on our server
    >machine.
    >what servers can we run for this purpose.please give details.
    >we are publishing pages in JSP using tomcat server.

    Rarely would you write one from scratch, unless, possibly, it was
    just to send an canned alert email to the site administrator. You use
    the JavaMail classes.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javamail.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.