What that site is running?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by ASP.NET explorer, May 4, 2007.

  1. ASP.NET explorer, May 4, 2007

  2. ASP.NET explorer

    Guest

    , May 5, 2007

  3. <> wrote:
    > If we send a " GET " to a web server at port 80, it will return us
    > something similar to this:
    >

    > HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    > Date: Fri, 18.Feb 2000 09:42:29 GMT
    > Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) <=== Cool hey

    There's more to in than that. I believe Netcraft analyses the low level
    TCP/IP implementation to make an educated guess as to the operating
    system - that's much harder to forge than an HTTP header, unless you
    really want to start replacing your TCP/IP stack with a different one.

    Of course, the header information may be good enough for the OP...

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/jon.skeet
    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], May 5, 2007
  4. Actually, a HEAD, rather than a GET Request would be sufficient, without
    having the extra overhead of the entire request body.
    Peter

    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], May 5, 2007
  5. ASP.NET explorer

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    ASP.NET explorer wrote:
    > http://news.netcraft.com/ has a simple utility "What that site is running?"
    > that lets us know the server software of a website.
    >
    > http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.sap.com
    >
    > I am just wondering how this checker utility can coded in C-sharp?

    HttpWebRequest req = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url);
    req.Method = "HEAD";
    HttpWebResponse resp = (HttpWebResponse)req.GetResponse();
    // now use resp.Headers["Server"]

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 5, 2007
  6. You put me to the right place.