What to Charge

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Wayfarer, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Wayfarer

    Wayfarer Guest

    I'm on disability and just recently got an opportunity to
    supplement my income by doing a website (5-10 pages, and
    server-side scripting to give them the capability to edit "news"
    items and format mail sent from onsiet forms and low graphics,
    which is good 'cause that ain't my forte).

    I've got some experience doing business systems in the
    more-or-less distant past (four years ago using Cold Fusion) but
    I'll be doing this in PHP, which I'm still learning but I know
    enough to do what they need.

    I live on the east coast U.S. outside of Washington, DC. What
    are some of the ways I might charge for my services and what are
    reasonable $ ranges in these ways for where I live?

    If this is the wrong place to ask, can you suggest where I might
    do so?

    TIA

    Neill

    --
    Wayfarer
    Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/

    If I had a mind I'd just lose it.

    Wayfarer, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Wayfarer

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm on disability and just recently got an opportunity to
    > supplement my income by doing a website (5-10 pages, and
    > server-side scripting to give them the capability to edit "news"
    > items and format mail sent from onsiet forms and low graphics,
    > which is good 'cause that ain't my forte).
    >
    > I've got some experience doing business systems in the
    > more-or-less distant past (four years ago using Cold Fusion) but
    > I'll be doing this in PHP, which I'm still learning but I know
    > enough to do what they need.
    >
    > I live on the east coast U.S. outside of Washington, DC. What
    > are some of the ways I might charge for my services and what are
    > reasonable $ ranges in these ways for where I live?
    >
    > If this is the wrong place to ask, can you suggest where I might
    > do so?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Neill

    Chicago area, should be relatively close in pricing:

    I charge $495 for the first 3 static pages, $100 for each additional.
    Then I charge $75/hour for as long as it takes to build the database and
    CMS using PHP - that could easily be another 20 - 30 hours. Without
    more specifics, for 10 pages this appears to be be a $3500+ job.

    But the answer you'll get from the rest of us will be "charge whatever
    you think your time is worth".

    saz, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Wayfarer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:16:36 -0500, Wayfarer <>
    wrote:

    >server-side scripting to give them the capability to edit "news"
    >items

    Install something like phpBB first, then customise it. There's no
    sense re-inventing from scratch.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Wayfarer

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Feb 22, 2005
  5. "Wayfarer" <> wrote in message

    > I live on the east coast U.S. outside of Washington, DC. What
    > are some of the ways I might charge for my services and what are
    > reasonable $ ranges in these ways for where I live?
    >
    > If this is the wrong place to ask, can you suggest where I might
    > do so?

    Congrats on the potential project.

    You might try calling around to local designers and asking what they would
    charge.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Feb 23, 2005