    So my question is really, what did other people do after they got a
    education, got a job and learnt as needed or covoered other topics?

    I know its a bit vague of a question so any responce is appreicated.

    D Allan, Dec 9, 2003

  2. D Allan

    Wendy S Guest

    "D Allan" <> wrote:
    > Ive recently completed my diploma in IT which Java was the main language,

    we
    > did the basics/gui/networking now that I have finished I dont know what I
    > should be looking into.

    What do you love? What kinds of programs would you work on, even if nobody
    would pay you for it? Figure that out, then see if you can manage to get
    paid for doing it. You spend at least 1/3 of your day at work, much too
    long to do something you hate.

    > So my question is really, what did other people do after they got a
    > education, got a job and learnt as needed or covoered other topics?

    I did it the other way around... took a few Java courses, decided that my
    "thing" is server-side Java and database programing, then looked for ways to
    apply that to my job. My job description started out as, "Put that [points
    at telnet-based database front-end] on the web." Vague enough? I
    discovered a Java API (not JDBC) to our somewhat obscure database, and got
    it done. And had a great time along the way, which is still continuing.

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ

    Wendy S, Dec 9, 2003

  3. D Allan

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:43:27 -0700, "Wendy S" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >What do you love? What kinds of programs would you work on, even if nobody
    >would pay you for it

    I wrote up a number of projects and posted them at
    http://mindprod.com/projects.html

    Happily someone was looking for a program like my "replicator" and
    asked if I would write it for him.

    I wrote some of them on spec, and have since found commercial
    application for them.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Dec 9, 2003
  4. D Allan

    Mike Guest

    "D Allan" <> wrote in message news:<OSiBb.4988$>...

    Hello. First of all, I would never sit still. Give yourself a
    project. For instance, construct a dynamic website and create
    something like a forum engine in J2EE. Great for the portfolio.

    If you get stuck, look for answers on Usenet and look at the samples
    at the Sun website. Forget books, I almost never read any books,
    well, sometimes, but I'm always disappointed how little books give me.
    Internet is so much quicker.

    Start to apply for a job, don't expect too high a salary. Forget
    about promotions, once people have stereotyped you you can't break out
    of it. The only way to gain respect is to switch jobs. Deep inside,
    think about number one: yourself. But also, treat your future
    employer with respect. Think about how hard it is to generate
    dollars, and be thankful that your employer has something going. Do
    your absolute best, and keep in mind that when you leave, what your
    then ex-colleagues will think of you, so, no backstabbing, no lying,
    stick to your job and do the best damn job you can.
    Don't talk about how you want to "move up" in the company, screw that.
    Make sure you learn something new every single day, so after a year
    or 2, you can switch to another employer. Don't tell anyone you want
    to switch to another employer.

    Mike, Dec 10, 2003