What to do now?

D Allan

Ive recently completed my diploma in IT which Java was the main language, we
did the basics/gui/networking now that I have finished I dont know what I
should be looking into.

Ive been going to all the java sites i can find and reading
tutorials/articles (Practical and Theory based) I do find them interesting
and do find better ways of doing stuff/learning new things, but im not sure
if its really practical.

So my question is really, what did other people do after they got a
education, got a job and learnt as needed or covoered other topics?

I know its a bit vague of a question so any responce is appreicated.

Wendy S

D Allan said:
Ive recently completed my diploma in IT which Java was the main language, we
did the basics/gui/networking now that I have finished I dont know what I
should be looking into.

What do you love? What kinds of programs would you work on, even if nobody
would pay you for it? Figure that out, then see if you can manage to get
paid for doing it. You spend at least 1/3 of your day at work, much too
long to do something you hate.
So my question is really, what did other people do after they got a
education, got a job and learnt as needed or covoered other topics?

I did it the other way around... took a few Java courses, decided that my
"thing" is server-side Java and database programing, then looked for ways to
apply that to my job. My job description started out as, "Put that [points
at telnet-based database front-end] on the web." Vague enough? I
discovered a Java API (not JDBC) to our somewhat obscure database, and got
it done. And had a great time along the way, which is still continuing.

Roedy Green

What do you love? What kinds of programs would you work on, even if nobody
would pay you for it

I wrote up a number of projects and posted them at
http://mindprod.com/projects.html

Happily someone was looking for a program like my "replicator" and
asked if I would write it for him.

I wrote some of them on spec, and have since found commercial
application for them.

Mike

Hello. First of all, I would never sit still. Give yourself a
project. For instance, construct a dynamic website and create
something like a forum engine in J2EE. Great for the portfolio.

If you get stuck, look for answers on Usenet and look at the samples
at the Sun website. Forget books, I almost never read any books,
well, sometimes, but I'm always disappointed how little books give me.
Internet is so much quicker.

Start to apply for a job, don't expect too high a salary. Forget
about promotions, once people have stereotyped you you can't break out
of it. The only way to gain respect is to switch jobs. Deep inside,
think about number one: yourself. But also, treat your future
employer with respect. Think about how hard it is to generate
dollars, and be thankful that your employer has something going. Do
your absolute best, and keep in mind that when you leave, what your
then ex-colleagues will think of you, so, no backstabbing, no lying,
stick to your job and do the best damn job you can.
Don't talk about how you want to "move up" in the company, screw that.
Make sure you learn something new every single day, so after a year
or 2, you can switch to another employer. Don't tell anyone you want
to switch to another employer.