What to use instead of frames?

UJ

I've got a page where I want to have three frames or areas. On the left -
two rows - on the right a single area. Thing is - on the right - I need to
load a web page for preview use.

From what I've read, framesets are a bad thing. What can I do instead?

I'm using .Net 2.0

TIA - Jeff.

John Timney \(MVP\)

Nothing wrong with frames, they can be a bit tricky to work with sometimes.
If your looking to load a whole web page, as opposed to some output into an
area you dont have much choice but to use a frame or an iframe as more than
one head/body tag in a single page etc. is very bad karma. If your only
looking to load some web content then a panel control or placeholder control
would suffice.

John Timney \(MVP\)

Master pages are certainly useful for consitent layout, anda great addition
to asp2 - but it wont help UJ display a whole web page within an existing
web page that does not contain a frame.

UJ

I actually did it with a table and the right side contains an iframe.

Seems to work OK.

Thanks - Jeff.

UJ

If I were to use frames, how could I in code behind get at the different
frames? Are they available to me on the page or don't they actually exist?

John Timney \(MVP\)

You can only talk across frames client side, so look at javascript and
output the javascript you require to do your inter frame comms from your
code behind.

Guest

Since you are using frames it's about to get really nasty if you need to get
at the different frames. A LOT of javascript is involved. I posted a solution
for you, a MUCH nicer and cleaner solution IMHO.

MasterPages and UserControls are your friend. ;-)

Atleast, explore what i've suggested.