What tool to use for Real Time Event Monitoring Apps?

Guest

Basically we have a system in place that moves files around and reads them in
and so forth. I want to build a web app that will have the ability to track
every business events real time as they are occurring in the system. All I
can think to use is a java applet that will communicate with backend systems
and in near real time kind of display to the user what is going on in the
system. I guess I think of like a stock ticker which monitors the prices and
constanly displays the changs to the user. My questions is besides building
a java applet, what other technologies can I use to update my app with real
time event information without the refreshing and flashing of submitting
forms and such. What is the best way to do it? I have investigated XML Http
but it seems to be based off user responses mostly... Anyone know of some
decent sample apps that use .net controls to constantly refresh data in a web
app?

Thanks,
Dave

Lucas Tam

My questions is besides building
a java applet, what other technologies can I use to update my app with
real time event information without the refreshing and flashing of
submitting forms and such.

You can use Client Side Postbacks (ASP.NET 2.0) or Javascript Remoting or
Macromedia Flash.