What tools do you use to help design your asp.net apps?

Guest

I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning / designing
my asp.net applications.

Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only a
handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.

It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
the classes are simply the codebehinds.

Any suggestions?

Kevin Spencer

I use paper and pen more often than not, for my initial designs. I don't use
Visio unless I want to show it to a client or something of that nature.
Believe it or not, a scratch pad is a great design tool.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Kevin Spencer

Nah, scribbling is much more fun! ;-)

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Guest

true guys .... unless I have a couple of pages with diagrams and code lets
scribbled here and there I dont feel like I am wolking on something serious
but yeah if it gets more then a cpl of pages I think one should start using
tools like visio.

No one

cmay said:
I am looking for something to help me with documenting / planning / designing
my asp.net applications.

Once in a while I try doing some UML in Visio, but it really feels like
overkill, espically when the application I am going ot be creating is only a
handfull of pages with limited number of new classes.

It seems most of the tools out there that do design and code generation
would be best suited for large win32 application development, with large
class libraries and numerous dependencies. When creating a simple asp.net
app there are usually not much need for these kinds of things, and usually
the classes are simply the codebehinds.

Any suggestions?

Visio is a terrible design tool for anything. I only use it to create
documentation. Usually I do design on whiteboard and paper with at
least one other person so there is a difference of opinion.

Kevin Spencer

documentation. Usually I do design on whiteboard and paper with at least
one other person so there is a difference of opinion.

But what if he/she agrees with you? ;-)

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Bob Moore

But what if he/she agrees with you? ;-)

five developers == at least six opinions :)

--
Bob Moore
http://bobmoore.mvps.org/