What type of error is this ?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by MFA, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. MFA

    MFA Guest

    Hi All

    Thanks to all who replied to my question dated 16/10/2003 with the same
    subject..

    In all replies I got every one is saying that I am using cint() etc. But i
    am not using any convert method.

    What I am using.

    I have one application veriable defined in global.asa that contain server
    address and that variable I am using as below.
    src =
    "<%=Application("Server")%>/gimages/Media_Temp/Templat3/images/template3_r19
    _c41.jpg"

    I am using so many times same variable in same page.

    I tried to add the variable one by one and error is coming some where in
    mid.
    If I am not using this variable and giving the server address as hard coded
    there is no error.

    This thing is giving me a real big problem...

    Error is below.
    Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0006)
    Overflow: '[number: 33362]'

    Kind Regards
    Fayyaz

    ---------------------------------Previous
    text-------------------------------------------

    I'll bet you a dollar. Are you using a function that expects an integer as
    an argument? How about showing your relevant code and we'll figure it out
    more easily.

    Ray at work

    MFA, Oct 20, 2003

  2. MFA

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Unless you can show the actual line where the error is occurring or show all
    of your code no one is going to be able to help you much.

    I would recommend that you put the value from Application("Server") into a
    local string variable if you are using it more than once.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 20, 2003

  3. MFA

    Bob Barrows Guest

    An overflow results when you try to assign a number to a space in memory
    that is not configured to contain the number of bytes required to represent
    the number. For example, you may have a variable that is defined as Integer.
    This variable will only be able to contain a number up to 32,768. If you try
    to assign a larger number, such as 33362, to the variable, it will generate
    an overflow error.

    This can also happen when you are adding two Integers together, if the
    result of the addition is greater than 32,768. When vbscript adds two
    numbers together, it creates a space in memory to store the result
    temporarily. It uses the largest datatype of the two numbers being added to
    create that space. So, if you add two Integers, it will create a temporary
    space that is configured to store an Integer. If the two integers being
    added are 21000 and 22000, the result, 43000 will be too big to put into the
    temporary storage location, causing the overflow error. The solution is to
    use CLng to convert at least one of the addends to a Long, so that the
    temporary storage location will be configured to store a Long result.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows, Oct 20, 2003
  4. MFA

    Ray at Guest

    We're still waiting for you to show us the code, so we can help you.
    (Sorry if this message is double-posted.)

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 20, 2003
  5. MFA

    Ray at Guest

    WHAT LINE IS THE ERROR ON? THIS FILE IS 719 LINES LONG.

    Ray at home

    "MFA" <MFA@MFA> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your detail replies and help.
    >
    > I have attached source file.
    > When I am using <%=Application("Server")%> it giving me error when I am
    > using http://127.0.0.1 its working fine, and I tried this assigning
    > <%=Application("Server")%> value to a local variable but problem is same.
    >
    > I have many other .asp files on above of this file. I am using this file

    as

    Ray at, Oct 21, 2003
  6. MFA

    MFA Guest

    Its giving error in any of parent file where I have included this file.

    And again let me tell u when I am doing the (below) changes in this file
    error is coming.
    If you want to see the parent code thats not possible as I am including it
    in different files dynamiclly.
    And I searched my whole project no where I am using Cint(), I am using
    Clng() and cdbl() and even I changed cdbl() to clng() but no success.

    I think there is any limit or something towards using variables or specially
    application() variables its not materr on converting interger or adding
    integers.

    Any how thanks for your help.

    Regards
    Fayyaz

    MFA, Oct 21, 2003
  7. MFA

    Ray at Guest

    When you get this error, does the page look like this in your browser?

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0006'

    Overflow: 'cint'

    /PATH/FILE.ASP, line 3

    Notice that it tells you the file in which the error is occurring and the
    line number in that file. It doesn't matter if it's in an include, or if
    you have the code sitting on a floppy disk. WHAT FILE. WHAT LINE NUMBER.
    WHAT IS ON THAT LINE IN THAT FILE?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 21, 2003
  8. > you have the code sitting on a floppy disk. WHAT FILE. WHAT LINE NUMBER.
    > WHAT IS ON THAT LINE IN THAT FILE?

    I gave up a few days ago. Not worth being frustrated about... however maybe
    MFA could benefit from reading http://www.aspfaq.com/2081

    And also doing this at the beginning of the file:

    <%
    srv = srv
    response.Write srv
    %>

    And then replacing all 221 calls to <%=Application("Server")%> to <%=srv%>

    (Reduces file size from 67k to 43k)
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Oct 21, 2003
  9. MFA

    MFA Guest

    Here is the error exactly

    MFA, Oct 21, 2003
  10. > Error Type:
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0006)
    > Overflow: '[number: 33362]'

    We got that already, several times. Perhaps you missed the upper case
    portions of Ray's post. Here, I'll repeat them.

    > > WHAT FILE. WHAT LINE NUMBER.
    > > WHAT IS ON THAT LINE IN THAT FILE?

    Why do you insist on making debugging so painful?
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Oct 21, 2003
  11. MFA

    MFA Guest

    Thanks very much all of you for your support and advises.
    I think I cannot explain to you more than this.

    Any how thanks again and regards.

    MFA, Oct 21, 2003
  12. MFA

    Ray at Guest

    Is this site available on the web? If so, can you post a link or something?
    There seems to be a barrier that exists that I think I can bypass by using
    http:// instead of person://.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 21, 2003