What were FrontPage Server Extensions?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marc, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I am reading some stuff on .NET 2.0 and it refers to FTP based project as
    an alternative to 'FrontPage Server Extensions' which are then obsolete. Ok,
    I never heard of this. 'FrontPage Server Extensions' would be a way to
    synchronise files from a development environment to production?

    I found this in wiki:

    <wiki>
    FrontPage Server Extensions

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Software technology that allows Microsoft FrontPage clients to communicate
    with web servers, and provide additional functionality intended for
    websites. Frequent security problems have marked the history of this
    Microsoft proprietary technology.
    It relies on HTTP protocol for communication, and CGI/POST for server side
    processing.
    Software IDE Microsoft Visual Studio 6 uses this technology for file
    synchronization purposes, and strongly depends on this technology for file
    management. .NET Microsoft products obsoleted this in favor of WebDAV.
    </wiki>

    I think this text is a bit unclear. If you read it in some way, it looks
    like Front Page Server Extensions were a special sort of webbrowser? But
    that not the case, right? I refer to 'clients to communicate with web
    servers', that sounds more like getting a page from a server and display it
    in a browser then changing the file on the server to update it. But I think
    the last is what FrontPage Server Extensions were used for?
    Marc, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Marc

    Marc Guest

    "Aidy" <> wrote

    > It was like a more specific version of FTP. Its name led to a lot of
    > confusion I think as people associated it with Front Page, which was MS's
    > WYSIWYG HTML editor.

    Yes I remember that one too.

    Thanks for the explination, it's cristal clear to me now.
    Marc, Jun 18, 2008