What XML technologies to learn first for "XML Processing" and "XML Mapping"?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Bomb Diggy, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Bomb Diggy

    Bomb Diggy Guest

    Hi,

    Doing job interviews. I know XML basics, but I want to familiarize
    myself with the best that XML has to offer at the moment. What do I
    need to learn? In other words, what is the dominant XML technology
    being used at the moment for processing? What is the 'struts' of the
    XML world?

    I've used a bit of JDOM, DOM4J, and JAXB. I know there are other
    xml-to-java serialization-type technologies out there that are less
    cumbersome - which do I need to know first? Which are most
    interesting? Which could become market leaders?

    Also, what are alternatives, if any, to XML? I know about just using
    properties file, but if you've got serious data issues to work out, is
    XML the only way to go?

    Thanks.
    Bomb Diggy, Jul 28, 2004