    There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but then it
    all seemed to disappear. What happened?

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Mar 7, 2006

  2. Phil Tomson

    John W. Long Guest

    Phil Tomson wrote:
    > This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so here's
    > a new thread:
    >
    > A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby website.
    > Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current one.
    > There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but then it
    > all seemed to disappear. What happened?

    We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The design has
    been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
    right content management system. We finally decided to do something
    custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
    the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
    deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
    complicates things.

    Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com
    John W. Long, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Phil Tomson

    Mike Whited Guest

    ------=_Part_4986_16275898.1141773960551

    On 3/7/06, Phil Tomson <> wrote:

    > This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so
    > here's
    > a new thread:
    >
    > A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby
    > website.
    > Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current
    > one.
    > There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but
    > then it
    > all seemed to disappear. What happened?
    >
    > Phil

    The blog is here: http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
    Who knows when they'll launch something new.

    ------=_Part_4986_16275898.1141773960551--
    Mike Whited, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Phil Tomson

    Jeff Cohen Guest

    John W. Long wrote:
    > We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The design has
    > been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
    > right content management system. We finally decided to do something
    > custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
    > the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
    > deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
    > complicates things.
    >
    > Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

    I'd be willing to donate some time if there's any way I can help? (I'm
    sure some others would be too.)

    Jeff
    www.softiesonrails.com
    cohen.jeff {at} gmail.com

    Jeff Cohen, Mar 8, 2006
  5. On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Jeff Cohen wrote:

    > John W. Long wrote:
    >> We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The
    >> design has
    >> been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
    >> right content management system. We finally decided to do something
    >> custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port
    >> most of
    >> the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
    >> deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
    >> complicates things.
    >>
    >> Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

    > I'd be willing to donate some time if there's any way I can help?
    > (I'm
    > sure some others would be too.)

    I'm willing to donate some time to that cause.

    --
    Jason Perkins

    "The computer allows you to make mistakes
    faster than any other invention, with the
    possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    Jason Perkins, Mar 8, 2006
  6. Phil Tomson

    Guest

    On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:25 PM, John W. Long wrote:
    > We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The
    > design has been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled
    > with picking the right content management system. We finally
    > decided to do something custom which is almost complete.

    Thanks for all your efforts. I'm curious as to what requirements led
    you to
    create your own CMS? I'm doing some work/research in this area and
    I'd like
    to know what was 'missing' from the available systems you
    considered. What
    systems did you consider? Even just a few off the cuff thoughts
    would be
    appreciated.

    Gary Wright
    , Mar 8, 2006
  7. Phil Tomson

    Ken Collins Guest

    Perhaps the reason was "eating your own dog food"? A Ruby CMS?

    Ken Collins, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Phil Tomson

    John W. Long Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm curious as to what requirements led you to create your own CMS? I'm
    > doing some work/research in this area and I'd like
    > to know what was 'missing' from the available systems you considered. What
    > systems did you consider? Even just a few off the cuff thoughts would be
    > appreciated.

    For starters we were looking for something in Ruby. At the moment there
    is not a general purpose CMS available for Ruby. We considered using
    Hobix for the blog part and something like Hieraki for the documentation
    section, but neither one seemed to be a good fit for the Ruby site. We
    also looked at Typo. In the end, we realized that in order to get any of
    the existing systems to work together we would have to do so much
    customization that it would be difficult to maintain. I've also had an
    itch for creating my own CMS and thought this would be a good project to
    try out some of my ideas. I spent the month of January working on the
    CMS and am very pleased with how it is turning out. I've got about a
    week's worth of work left on it before it will be ready for ruby-lang.org.

    You can read about my progress on my Web site:

    http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/05/first-look
    http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/05/creating-a-new-page
    http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/12/javascript-bliss
    http://wiseheartdesign.com/articles/2006/01/31/behaviors

    I plan to open source it in the future and will be looking for
    contributors. E-mail me off-list if you are interested.

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com
    John W. Long, Mar 8, 2006
  9. Phil Tomson

    Guest

    On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Ken Collins wrote:
    > Perhaps the reason was "eating your own dog food"? A Ruby CMS?

    I know of the various wiki and blog frameworks in Ruby.

    I haven't really found any CMS frameworks, which is why I asked the
    question. Maybe there is something out there that I'm not aware of.

    Gary Wright
    , Mar 8, 2006
  10. Phil Tomson

    John W. Long Guest

    Pistos Christou wrote:
    > I really can't wait for you to release the code for this. Please do so
    > as soon as possible, even if you think it's not ready for prime time :)
    > or even if it would only be made available via CVS or svn or something.

    I can't wait to release it either. All in good time though. As I've said
    the feature set for the new Ruby-Lang.org is almost complete. When I've
    finished that I will probably give the public anonymous access to the
    repository and begin asking for feedback. There are limits to one man's
    creativity. :)

    --
    John
    John W. Long, Mar 8, 2006
  11. Phil Tomson

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    On 3/7/06, Jason Perkins <> wrote:

    > On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:53 PM, Jeff Cohen wrote:
    >

    > > I'd be willing to donate some time if there's any way I can help?
    > > (I'm
    > > sure some others would be too.)

    > I'm willing to donate some time to that cause.

    Thanks for your offer to help.

    What we are mostly going to need help with is moving exiting content
    from ruby-lang.org to the new site, and some writing of new content
    (we will have a list of what we need).

    If you think you'll have time to help with this, send me a private
    email (curt at hibbs dot com).

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Mar 8, 2006
  12. Julian I. Kamil, Mar 8, 2006
  13. Phil Tomson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    John W. Long <> wrote:
    >Phil Tomson wrote:
    >> This came up in another thread, but I haven't seen an answer there so here's
    >> a new thread:
    >>
    >> A year or more ago there was a big push to create an improved Ruby website.
    >> Something that would look nicer and promote Ruby better than the current one.
    >> There were prototypes created that looked rather nice as I recall, but then it
    >> all seemed to disappear. What happened?

    >We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The design has
    >been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
    >right content management system. We finally decided to do something
    >custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
    >the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
    >deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
    >complicates things.
    >
    >Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

    Good to hear that there is ongoing work on the project.

    BTW: will this content management system by available?

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Phil Tomson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Ken Collins <> wrote:

    >Perhaps the reason was "eating your own dog food"? A Ruby CMS?

    Yes, this seems important for a Ruby site to have a CMS written in Ruby. We've
    bot web programming framesworks like Rails and Nitro, but I don't think there's
    been a CMS package in Ruby.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Mar 8, 2006
  15. Phil Tomson

    Guest

    On Mar 8, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Julian I. Kamil wrote:

    > Gary, have you looked at Pandora (http://pandora.rubyveil.com/)? Not
    > exactly a CMS, but it may meet some of your requirements.

    Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

    Gary Wright
    , Mar 8, 2006
  16. John W. Long <> wrote:

    > We have a crew of enthusiastic, but very busy people. :) The design has
    > been in HTML since last summer, but we have wrestled with picking the
    > right content management system. We finally decided to do something
    > custom which is almost complete. After that we will need to port most of
    > the content from the old site over and make some content tweaks. Then
    > deployment. The fact that this is a multi-lingual Web site also
    > complicates things.
    >
    > Expect something in 3 to 6 months. Hopefully, much earlier.

    Better than stopping to write TeX first, at least :) Looking forward to
    the new site!

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Mar 9, 2006