What's a good starter HTML Editor (Free?)

Ian

What's a good HTML editior one can download as shareware to create a simple
personal web page?

Neal

What's a good HTML editior one can download as shareware to create a
simple
personal web page?

Better - w3schools, learn HTML, it's easier in the long run to get good
results. You can do it in Notepad, though I prefer Crimson Editor because
it colors the code contextually.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Ian said:
What's a good HTML editior one can download as shareware to create a
simple
personal web page?

Go to pagetutor.com and learn the basics and then go to evrsoft.com and
download 1stpage2000.

--Tina

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

Ian said:
What's a good HTML editior one can download as shareware to create a simple
personal web page?

http://www.editplus.com/ You decide if you want to
pay the 30$ to register.
Learn the basics here: http://www.w3schools.com/
Keep out of trouble by following some simple
rules: http://home.no.net/ingernet/links.php#How
(My page, skip the advice related to genealogy if
that's not what you are doing, and disregard the
looks of the site, it's undergoing an upgrade to
XHTML.)

Toby Inkster

Rhino said:
If you are using a free Linux OS you can use the free Quanta+ HTML editor
that comes with the Linux OS or Bluefish if you want a wysiwyg.

Huh? Bluefish sure ain't WYSIWYG.

Toby Inkster

Beauregard said:
Quoth the raven Shailesh Humbad:

It is wysiwyg, but it messes up your code.

I'm yet to find a WYSIWYG editor that produces cleaner code (using default
settings; and without going into source code editing view) than Mozilla
Composer.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Toby Inkster:
I'm yet to find a WYSIWYG editor that produces cleaner code (using
default settings; and without going into source code editing view)
than Mozilla Composer.

How does it work with CSS?

I was recently helping an amateur work on his site, and (according to
him) if he would remove a <FONT> element in a text editor, then reopen
in Composer, it would stick a <FONT> back in, and not allow him to use
CSS. That's what I based my statement on.

Michael Winter

Quoth the raven Toby Inkster:
[snip]
Mozilla Composer.

How does it work with CSS?

I couldn't say, personally (I've never used Composer), but there is an
option to use CSS in preference to presentational HTML. Very early
versions (before v1.2) have this option disabled by default. It might be
an idea to check how it performs with this option enabled (assuming it
wasn't).

[snip]

Mike

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Michael Winter:
I couldn't say, personally (I've never used Composer), but there is
an option to use CSS in preference to presentational HTML. Very
early versions (before v1.2) have this option disabled by default.
It might be an idea to check how it performs with this option
enabled (assuming it wasn't).

Not sure of the version, but I will ask him, and to check for the
options. Thanks.

Tabasco1

Neal said:
Better - w3schools, learn HTML, it's easier in the long run to get good
results.

You will have to learn html eventually anyway HTML editors tend to F^&K Up
every thing and fix there crapy code anyway.

You can do it in Notepad, though I prefer Crimson Editor because it colors
the code contextually.

I love Crimson Editor also! Go to http://www.crimsoneditor.com/ for more
details.

Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com Now accepting PayPal
http://www.tcpslaship.com under construction

aa

What's a good HTML editior one can download as shareware to create a
simple
personal web page?

Depends on your objectives.

If you want to learn HTML while building that webpage, Notepad would be just
fine, for it will allow you to concentrate on HTML rather than on user
interface of whatever you download
..
If you need to build a web page (not a website) quickly without wasting time
in learning HTML, then do it in Word (which I guess you have and know how to
use) and save as HTML. The code will look ugly inside but on the surface
everyhing will be reasonably fine.

Rhino

I'm yet to find a WYSIWYG editor that produces cleaner code (using default
settings; and without going into source code editing view) than Mozilla
Composer.

You haven't used Dreamweaver then. It will handle HTML, CSS, PHP, XML,
XHTML, Javascript, Java, JSP, ASP, CFM, VBscript, VB, C# and several other
formats.

Toby Inkster

Rhino said:
You haven't used Dreamweaver then. It will handle HTML, CSS, PHP, XML,
XHTML, Javascript, Java, JSP, ASP, CFM, VBscript, VB, C# and several other
formats.

Never said that it didn't handle those formats. Just that (out of the box)
it produces very messy code.

rf

Rhino wrote
You haven't used Dreamweaver then. It will handle HTML, CSS, PHP, XML,
XHTML, Javascript, Java, JSP, ASP, CFM, VBscript, VB, C# and several other
formats.

DW is incompatible with the word Free in the subject line.