    +-------+ +--------+
    | Row | | Column |
    +-------+ +--------+

    -, Jul 5, 2005

  2. -

    JohnH Guest

    - wrote:
    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

    Coordinate?

    JohnH, Jul 5, 2005

  3. -

    Jon Harrop Guest

    - wrote:

    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
    >
    > +-------+
    > | ? |
    > +---+---+
    > |
    > +-------+------+
    > | |
    > +-------+ +--------+
    > | Row | | Column |
    > +-------+ +--------+

    Vector?

    http://www.ffconsultancy.com

    Jon Harrop, Jul 5, 2005
  4. -

    Chris Uppal Guest

    - wrote:

    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

    Very good question.

    I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
    satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
    line, or row, of things).

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Jul 5, 2005
  5. -

    Guest

    - wrote:
    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
    >
    > +-------+
    > | ? |
    > +---+---+
    > |
    > +-------+------+
    > | |
    > +-------+ +--------+
    > | Row | | Column |
    > +-------+ +--------+

    Cow?

    ..ed

    , Jul 5, 2005
  6. Chris Uppal wrote:
    > - wrote:
    >

    >>What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

    > Very good question.
    >
    > I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
    > satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
    > line, or row, of things).
    >
    > -- chris

    How about "Slice"? Although not all array slices are single rows or
    columns, a row and a column are both examples of slices.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 5, 2005
  7. Chris Uppal wrote:
    > - wrote:
    >

    >>What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

    > Very good question.
    >
    > I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
    > satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
    > line, or row, of things).

    Why didn't you go with Line, since that doesn't require a further
    explanation? :)

    (Actually, I can think of some reasons myself.)

    Ray

    --
    XML is the programmer's duct tape.

    Raymond DeCampo, Jul 5, 2005
  8. On 05.07.2005 04:36 - wrote:

    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
    >
    > +-------+
    > | ? |
    > +---+---+
    > |
    > +-------+------+
    > | |
    > +-------+ +--------+
    > | Row | | Column |
    > +-------+ +--------+

    I can't see any reason why the two of them should share a common base class
    other then Object. What do they have in common?

    A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Jul 5, 2005
  9. On 05.07.2005 17:44 Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

    > Thomas Kellerer <> writes:
    >

    >>A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

    > No, both are collections of cells.

    OK, makes sense.

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Jul 5, 2005

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Jul 5, 2005
  11. -

    Virgil Green Guest

    - wrote:
    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
    >
    > +-------+
    > | ? |
    > +---+---+
    > |
    > +-------+------+
    > | |
    > +-------+ +--------+
    >> Row | | Column |

    > +-------+ +--------+

    Axis

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Jul 5, 2005
  12. Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > Thomas Kellerer <> writes:
    >

    >>A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

    > No, both are collections of cells.

    or, a Column has a collection of Rows (that just happen to be a cell)

    and a Row has a collection of Cells (1..n)

    Andrew McDonagh, Jul 5, 2005
  13. -

    steve Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:36:59 +0800, wrote
    (in article <42c9f247$>):

    > What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
    >
    > +-------+
    > | ? |
    > +---+---+
    > |
    > +-------+------+
    > | |
    > +-------+ +--------+
    >> Row | | Column |

    > +-------+ +--------+

    arrayAccess

    steve, Jul 5, 2005
  14. Andrew McDonagh <2s.com> writes:

    > or, a Column has a collection of Rows (that just happen to be a cell)

    No, that makes Column and Row be equal to the full table.

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Jul 6, 2005
  15. -

    Joe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Andrew McDonagh <2s.com> writes:
    >
    > > or, a Column has a collection of Rows (that just happen to be a cell)

    > No, that makes Column and Row be equal to the full table.

    A single Column or Row can be equal to a full table.

    Joe, Jul 10, 2005
  16. On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:44:39 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

    > Thomas Kellerer <> writes:
    >
    >> A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

    > No, both are collections of cells.

    Iterable<Cell> ?

    Owen Jacobson, Jul 10, 2005
  17. -

    Wibble Guest

    Thomas Kellerer wrote:

    > On 05.07.2005 17:44 Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    >

    >>Thomas Kellerer <> writes:
    >>

    >>>A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

    >>No, both are collections of cells.

    > OK, makes sense.
    >
    > Thomas

    CollectionOfCells