What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

?

-

What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
| Row | | Column |
+-------+ +--------+

Jon Harrop

- said:
What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
| Row | | Column |
+-------+ +--------+

Vector?

Chris Uppal

- said:
What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

Very good question.

I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
line, or row, of things).

-- chris

iamfractal

- said:
What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
| Row | | Column |
+-------+ +--------+

Cow?

..ed

Patricia Shanahan

Chris said:
- wrote:

Very good question.

I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
line, or row, of things).

-- chris

How about "Slice"? Although not all array slices are single rows or
columns, a row and a column are both examples of slices.

Patricia

Raymond DeCampo

Chris said:
- wrote:

Very good question.

I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
line, or row, of things).

Why didn't you go with Line, since that doesn't require a further
explanation? :)

(Actually, I can think of some reasons myself.)

Ray

Thomas Kellerer

What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
| Row | | Column |
+-------+ +--------+

I can't see any reason why the two of them should share a common base class
other then Object. What do they have in common?

A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

Thomas

Virgil Green

- said:
What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
+-------+ +--------+

Axis

Andrew McDonagh

Tor said:
No, both are collections of cells.

or, a Column has a collection of Rows (that just happen to be a cell)

and a Row has a collection of Cells (1..n)

steve

What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

| |

arrayAccess

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Andrew McDonagh said:
or, a Column has a collection of Rows (that just happen to be a cell)

No, that makes Column and Row be equal to the full table.