What's Going on between Python and win7?

Discussion in 'Python' started by W. eWatson, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It inspects the
    contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it gave the results
    for A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A, and fired up the
    program in B. Win7 went into search mode for the file. I looked at
    properties for the B program, and it was clearly pointing to folder A.

    Anyone have this happen to them?

    Another anomaly. I have the files track.py and trackstudy.py in the same
    folder along with 100 or so other py and txt data files. When I did a
    search from the folder window in the upper right corner, search only
    found one of the two. I called HP tech support about it, and they could
    see it for themselves via remote control. They had no idea, but agreed
    to contact MS. In this case, I noted that this search box has some sort
    of filter associated with it. Possibly, in my early stages of learning
    to navigate in Win7, I accidentally set the filter.

    Comments?
    W. eWatson, Feb 22, 2010

  2. On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM, W. eWatson <> wrote:
    > Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It inspects the
    > contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it gave the results for
    > A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A, and fired up the program in
    > B. Win7 went into search mode for the file. I looked at properties for the B
    > program, and it was clearly pointing to folder A.
    >
    > Anyone have this happen to them?
    >
    > Another anomaly. I have the files track.py and trackstudy.py in the same
    > folder along with 100 or so other py and txt data files. When I did a search
    > from the folder window in the upper right corner, search only found one of
    > the two. I called HP tech support about it, and they could see it for
    > themselves via remote control. They had no idea, but agreed to  contact MS.
    > In this case, I noted that this search box has some sort of filter
    > associated with it. Possibly, in my early stages of learning to navigate in
    > Win7, I accidentally set the filter.
    >
    > Comments?

    I can't really see the python related problem here...
    Krister Svanlund, Feb 22, 2010

  3. W. eWatson

    MRAB Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It inspects the
    > contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it gave the results
    > for A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A, and fired up the
    > program in B. Win7 went into search mode for the file. I looked at
    > properties for the B program, and it was clearly pointing to folder A.

    Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.

    > Anyone have this happen to them?
    >
    > Another anomaly. I have the files track.py and trackstudy.py in the same
    > folder along with 100 or so other py and txt data files. When I did a
    > search from the folder window in the upper right corner, search only
    > found one of the two. I called HP tech support about it, and they could
    > see it for themselves via remote control. They had no idea, but agreed
    > to contact MS. In this case, I noted that this search box has some sort
    > of filter associated with it. Possibly, in my early stages of learning
    > to navigate in Win7, I accidentally set the filter.
    >
    > Comments?

    Not Python-related.
    MRAB, Feb 22, 2010
  4. On 2010-02-22, W. eWatson <> wrote:

    > Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B.

    [tail of various windows breakages elided]

    > Comments?

    Switch to Linux?

    Or at least install Cygwin?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Maybe I should have
    at asked for my Neutron Bomb
    Grant Edwards, Feb 22, 2010
  5. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 2/22/2010 8:29 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2010-02-22, W. eWatson<> wrote:
    >
    >> Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B.

    > [tail of various windows breakages elided]
    >
    >> Comments?

    > Switch to Linux?
    >
    > Or at least install Cygwin?

    Yes, definitely not related, but maybe some W7 user has a similar
    experience here. It seems a natural place to look, since it should be
    reasonably common.

    I have Cygwin.
    W. eWatson, Feb 22, 2010
  6. W. eWatson

    John Bokma Guest

    Gib Bogle <> writes:

    > MRAB wrote:
    >> W. eWatson wrote:
    >>> Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B. It
    >>> inspects the contents of files in a folder. When I ran it in B, it
    >>> gave the results for A! Out of frustration I changed the name in A,
    >>> and fired up the program in B. Win7 went into search mode for the
    >>> file. I looked at properties for the B program, and it was clearly
    >>> pointing to folder A.
    >>>

    >> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.

    > Windows 7 has symbolic links?

    Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
    compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
    its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.

    :

    Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365680(VS.85).aspx

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    John Bokma, Feb 22, 2010
  7. W. eWatson

    Gib Bogle Guest

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Gib Bogle <> writes:
    >
    >> MRAB wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Sounds like you didn't copy it but made a shortcut to it instead.

    >> Windows 7 has symbolic links?

    > Symbolic links are designed to aid in migration and application
    > compatibility with UNIX operating systems. Microsoft has implemented
    > its symbolic links to function just like UNIX links.
    >
    > :
    >
    > Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365680(VS.85).aspx

    That explains my ignorance of this (excellent) development. I'm still using W2K
    and XP.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 22, 2010
  8. In message <>, MRAB wrote:

    > Not Python-related.

    Seems to be pretty common with Windows-related complaints in this group.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2010
  9. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
    XP, and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
    Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?

    How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
    in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.
    W. eWatson, Feb 23, 2010
  10. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 2/22/2010 6:39 PM, David Robinow wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, W. eWatson<> wrote:
    >> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program in
    >> another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    > Ask in an appropriate forum. I'm not sure where that is but you might
    > try http://www.sevenforums.com/

    Not in my NG list.

    If the way this is going is that it occurs on W7, not just in my case,
    then it will impact many Python users.
    W. eWatson, Feb 23, 2010
  11. * W. eWatson:
    > So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
    > XP,

    Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>

    I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
    implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.

    But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort of hack
    it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed through the
    ordinary file APIs.

    > and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
    > Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
    >
    > How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
    > in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    Copy and paste.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 23, 2010
  12. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * W. eWatson:
    >> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
    >> XP,

    > Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
    >
    > I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
    > implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
    >
    > But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
    > of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
    > through the ordinary file APIs.
    >

    >> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
    >> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
    >>
    >> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
    >> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    > Copy and paste.
    >

    > Cheers & hth.,
    >
    > - Alf

    I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?
    W. eWatson, Feb 23, 2010
  13. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * W. eWatson:
    >> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
    >> XP,

    > Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
    >
    > I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
    > implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
    >
    > But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
    > of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
    > through the ordinary file APIs.
    >

    >> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
    >> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
    >>
    >> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
    >> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    > Copy and paste.
    >

    > Cheers & hth.,
    >
    > - Alf

    Alf? Hello,Norway. My wife is Norwegian and that was her father's name.

    I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?

    Tusin Tak (That's about the size of my vocabulary and spelling ability!
    1000 thanks. What is the correct spelling?)
    W. eWatson, Feb 23, 2010
  14. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Re: What's Going on between (Verify) Python and win7?

    Maybe someone could verify my result?

    open file
    read file line
    print line
    close file

    data 1234

    Execute it in a folder

    Create another folder and copy the program to it.
    put in a new data file as

    data 4567

    Execute the copied program
    Does it give
    data1234?
    W. eWatson, Feb 23, 2010
  15. * W. eWatson:
    > On 2/22/2010 8:50 PM, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    >> * W. eWatson:
    >>> So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with
    >>> XP,

    >> Well, Windows NT has always had *hardlinks*. <g>
    >>
    >> I found it a bit baffling that that functionality is documented as not
    >> implemented for Windows in the Python standard library.
    >>
    >> But OK, it was non-trivial to do prior to Windows 2000; you had to sort
    >> of hack it using the backup APIs since the functionality was not exposed
    >> through the ordinary file APIs.
    >>

    >>> and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary
    >>> Python/W7 user. Is there a simple solution?
    >>>
    >>> How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the program
    >>> in another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    >> Copy and paste.
    >>

    >> Cheers & hth.,
    >>
    >> - Alf

    > Alf? Hello,Norway. My wife is Norwegian and that was her father's name.
    >
    > I thought that's what I did. Is there some other way?

    (A)
    For using Explorer, see

    <url: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Copy-and-paste-a-file>

    and in particular look at the tips at the bottom.

    (B)
    To get absolute control you can use the command interpreter. I don't have
    Windows7 but googling yielded the following URL:

    <url: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/947-command-prompt.html>

    The "copy" command there copies files.

    > Tusin Tak (That's about the size of my vocabulary and spelling ability!
    > 1000 thanks. What is the correct spelling?)

    That's "tusen takk".

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 23, 2010
  16. W. eWatson

    Jerry Hill Guest

    On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM, W. eWatson <> wrote:
    > So what's the bottom line? This link notion is completely at odds with XP,
    > and produces what I would call something of a mess to the unwary Python/W7
    > user. Is there a simple solution?

    I know people went off on a tangent talking about symbolic links and
    hard links, but it is extremely unlikely that you created something
    like that by accident. Windows just doesn't create those without you
    doing quite a bit of extra work. It certainly doesn't create them
    when you drag & drop files around through the normal interface.

    > How do I get out of this pickle? I just want to duplicate the  program in
    > another folder, and not link to an ancestor.

    You need to dig into the technical details of what's happening on your
    hard drive. You say you "copied a program from folder A to folder B".
    Can you describe, exactly, what steps you took? What was the file
    name of the program? Was it just one file, or a directory, or several
    files? What was the path to directory A? What is the the path to
    directory B? When you open a CMD window and do a dir of each
    directory, what exactly do you see?

    You've given a pretty non-technical description of the problem you're
    experiencing. If you want more than wild speculation, you'll need to
    give more specifics for people to help you with.

    My wild guess: you held down control and shift while copying your
    program. That's the keyboard command to create a shortcut instead of
    moving or copying a file.

    --
    Jerry
    Jerry Hill, Feb 23, 2010
  17. Have you tried opening file explorer in administrative mode before
    performing the copy? I think if there isn't sufficient permissions,
    it does something weird like that.
    chris grebeldinger, Feb 23, 2010
  18. W. eWatson

    Gib Bogle Guest

    chris grebeldinger wrote:
    > Have you tried opening file explorer in administrative mode before
    > performing the copy? I think if there isn't sufficient permissions,
    > it does something weird like that.

    No
    Gib Bogle, Feb 23, 2010
  19. Hi!

    > Symbolic links are available in NTFS starting with Windows Vista.

    No.
    Hardlink come with NTFS, and already exists in W2K (and NT with specifics utilities).

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau
    Michel Claveau - MVP, Feb 23, 2010
  20. W. eWatson

    Guest

    "W. eWatson" <> writes:

    > I noted that this search box has
    > some sort of filter associated with it. Possibly, in my early stages
    > of learning to navigate in Win7, I accidentally set the filter.
    >
    > Comments?

    FYI, the only truly reliable and powerful file search utility I've found
    for Windows is Agent Ransack (http://download.mythicsoft.com/agentran.exe)
    , Feb 23, 2010