What's Going on between Python and win7?

Lie Ryan

Last night I copied a program from folder A to folder B.

[tail of various windows breakages elided]
Comments?

Switch to Linux?

Or at least install Cygwin?
Yes, definitely not related, but maybe some W7 user has a similar
experience here. It seems a natural place to look, since it should be
reasonably common.

IMHO that doesn't justify.

The advice to move the discussion to a windows-specific group is not
just about reducing off-topic discussion[1], but because there isn't
that much Windows (Seven) users in this newsgroup. Most comp.lang.python
users either uses linux, unix, macs, or older version of windows, and
are not familiar with the specifics of Windows 7.

It would be nice though, if you reposted the solution you found from
another forum here to benefit other python Windows 7 users.

[1] pretty much anything computer-related is not entirely off-topic in
c.l.py because of the wide range of situations people uses python in
(I've seen general algorithmic questions, text-editor wars, problems
with 3rd party module, jython/ironpython internals, etc discussed in
here; many of those gets quite welcomed even though technically off-topic)

Steven D'Aprano

I know people went off on a tangent talking about symbolic links and
hard links, but it is extremely unlikely that you created something like
that by accident. Windows just doesn't create those without you doing
quite a bit of extra work. It certainly doesn't create them when you
drag & drop files around through the normal interface.

I find it far more likely that Windows 7 makes it easy for the user to
accidentally produce links rather than copies, rather than that Python
suddenly has developed a bug where it opens a completely different file
to the one you ask for.

But more likely still is some confusion regarding paths.