    the "item boxes" likely to be?

    Thanks for helping a newbie to understand.

    Mike

    Mike Silva, Feb 21, 2009

  2. Mike Silva

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:03:39 -0800 (PST), Mike Silva
    <> wrote:

    >Can somebody explain how this website is getting this effect? The
    >website is amazon.com, and the effect is the "Latest from your
    >favorite authors" section. That section holds a minimum of 3 "item
    >boxes" across, but the number of boxes grows as the browser window is
    >stretched horizontally.
    >
    >I understand that the data in the boxes is generated dynamically from
    >a database, but I'm wondering how they might be doing the boxes
    >themselves. I can see that the boxes have a minimum and a maximum
    >size as the window size is changed, beyond which another data column
    >is added or subtracted. So is this all being handled in the browser,
    >or is the browser communicating the window size back to the server
    >which is adjusting the HTML it sends out? And what HTML construct are
    >the "item boxes" likely to be?
    >
    >Thanks for helping a newbie to understand.
    >
    >Mike

    If you're talking of the "home" page that is being done basically by
    using a container for the 3 "boxes" which we refer to as "columns".
    Those are housed in a container "box" which is set to 100% width.
    What you do is then set the "columns" to a width based on percentage.

    Having had a look at their crappy coding, it appears they use such
    things as "min-width" which may or may not work anywhere but in IE.

    As you begin to learn to properly code, you will leann these things
    and hopefully do a lot better than amazon.

    If you're just beginning you might want to take a look at some of the
    examples found at www.oswd.org

    As well as here with your coding http://validator.w3.org/

    I just sent amazon through the validatior and it kicked back a
    whopping 1532 errors.
    And to think they paid some jerk to do that crap.

    richard, Feb 21, 2009

  3. richard wrote:

    > Having had a look at their crappy coding, it appears they use such
    > things as "min-width" which may or may not work anywhere but in IE.

    Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your facts
    backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and min-height,
    max-width, and max-height as well.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 21, 2009
  4. Mike Silva

    Radio Man Guest

    On Feb 22, 7:53 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    > > Having had a look at their crappy coding, it appears they use such
    > > things as "min-width" which may or may not work anywhere but in IE.

    > Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your facts
    > backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and min-height,
    > max-width, and max-height as well.

    As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support Min
    and max width.

    Radio Man, Feb 22, 2009
  5. Mike Silva

    David Segall Guest

    Mike Silva <> wrote:

    >Can somebody explain how this website is getting this effect? The
    >website is amazon.com, and the effect is the "Latest from your
    >favorite authors" section. That section holds a minimum of 3 "item
    >boxes" across, but the number of boxes grows as the browser window is
    >stretched horizontally.
    >
    >I understand that the data in the boxes is generated dynamically from
    >a database, but I'm wondering how they might be doing the boxes
    >themselves. I can see that the boxes have a minimum and a maximum
    >size as the window size is changed, beyond which another data column
    >is added or subtracted. So is this all being handled in the browser,
    >or is the browser communicating the window size back to the server
    >which is adjusting the HTML it sends out? And what HTML construct are
    >the "item boxes" likely to be?

    Amazon use Javascript on the browser to determine the width of the
    viewport and, if there is room for more than three columns on the
    page, a request is sent to the server to regenerate the page.

    I assume that, unlike Amazon, you will have a passive web server. The
    page that the user first downloads contains all the information
    required to view the page. You can still achieve a similar effect.
    Google for "variable fixed-width layout".

    David Segall, Feb 22, 2009
  6. Mike Silva

    John Hosking Guest

    Radio Man wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 7:53 am, "Jonathan N. Little" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Having had a look at their crappy coding, it appears they use such
    >>> things as "min-width" which may or may not work anywhere but in IE.

    >> Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your facts
    >> backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and min-height,
    >> max-width, and max-height as well.
    >>

    > As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support Min
    > and max width.

    Yes and yes. I believe the confusion comes because of the way Richard
    phrased his statement using a compound sentence.

    Consider the difference between

    'they use such things as "min-width" which may work anywhere but in IE'

    which is mostly true, and

    'they use such things as "min-width" which may not work anywhere but in IE'

    which is mostly false. He's combined the two into one sentence:
    confusion reigns.

    --
    John
    Possessive "its" has no apostrophe. Even on the Internet.

    John Hosking, Feb 22, 2009
  7. Mike Silva

    Radio Man Guest

    On Feb 22, 9:23 pm, John Hosking <>
    wrote:
    > Radio Man wrote:
    > >> Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your facts
    > >> backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and min-height,
    > >> max-width, and max-height as well.

    > > As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support Min
    > > and max width.

    > Yes and yes. I believe the confusion comes because of the way Richard
    > phrased his statement using a compound sentence.
    >
    > Consider the difference between
    >
    > 'they use such things as "min-width" which may work anywhere but in IE'
    >
    > which is mostly true, and
    >
    > 'they use such things as "min-width" which may not work anywhere but in IE'
    >
    > which is mostly false. He's combined the two into one sentence:
    > confusion reigns.

    Yeah, it was not a good way of saying that at all. He should have just
    written that, max width works in most modern browsers. As IE6 is not a
    modern browser.

    Radio Man, Feb 22, 2009
  8. Mike Silva

    BootNic Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:44:27 -0800 (PST)
    Radio Man <> wrote in:
    <>

    > On Feb 22, 7:53 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Having had a look at their crappy coding, it appears they use
    >>> such things as "min-width" which may or may not work anywhere
    >>> but in IE.

    >> Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your
    >> facts backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and
    >> min-height, max-width, and max-height as well.
    >>

    > As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support
    > Min and max width.

    IE 7 support varies dependent on compatMode.

    --

    BootNic Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 pm
    Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken down.

    BootNic, Feb 22, 2009
  9. Mike Silva

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 23, 4:48 am, BootNic <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:44:27 -0800 (PST)
    > Radio Man <> wrote in:
    > <>

    > >> Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your
    > >> facts backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and
    > >> min-height, max-width, and max-height as well.

    > > As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support
    > > Min and max width.

    > IE 7 support varies dependent on compatMode.

    Yes, that is a valid point.

    Chaddy2222, Feb 23, 2009
  10. Mike Silva

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:23:08 +0100, John Hosking
    <> wrote:

    >Radio Man wrote:
    >>> Your correct on the quality of the markup, but you have your facts
    >>> backward. It is IE that does not support min-width, and min-height,
    >>> max-width, and max-height as well.
    >>>

    >> As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support Min
    >> and max width.

    >Yes and yes. I believe the confusion comes because of the way Richard
    >phrased his statement using a compound sentence.
    >
    >Consider the difference between
    >
    >'they use such things as "min-width" which may work anywhere but in IE'
    >
    >which is mostly true, and
    >
    >'they use such things as "min-width" which may not work anywhere but in IE'
    >
    >which is mostly false. He's combined the two into one sentence:
    >confusion reigns.

    You are confusing yourself.
    I said, "may or may not", not the way you show.
    Meaning basically, it's a crap shoot if it does work.
    Browser authors have a tendancy to define things in their own way
    rather than the way it was intended to work.

    richard, Feb 23, 2009
  11. Mike Silva

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 04:40:04 -0800 (PST), Radio Man
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 22, 9:23 pm, John Hosking <>
    >wrote:
    >> Radio Man wrote:

    >> > As far as I know it is only IE6 and below that does not support Min
    >> > and max width.

    >> Yes and yes. I believe the confusion comes because of the way Richard
    >> phrased his statement using a compound sentence.
    >>
    >> Consider the difference between
    >>
    >> 'they use such things as "min-width" which may work anywhere but in IE'
    >>
    >> which is mostly true, and
    >>
    >> 'they use such things as "min-width" which may not work anywhere but in IE'
    >>
    >> which is mostly false. He's combined the two into one sentence:
    >> confusion reigns.
    >>

    >Yeah, it was not a good way of saying that at all. He should have just
    >written that, max width works in most modern browsers. As IE6 is not a
    >modern browser.

    Define "modern".
    Does that mean released in the past 6 months or 6 weeks?
    IE is like AOL. You do it their way or you use something else.
    Which is why I ditched IE.

    richard, Feb 23, 2009
  12. richard wrote:

    > Define "modern".
    > Does that mean released in the past 6 months or 6 weeks?
    > IE is like AOL. You do it their way or you use something else.
    > Which is why I ditched IE.

    No, "modern" in function, IE8 *might* be almost "modern" at release. MS
    says it will. I have my doubts...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan