Whats the best Python Book for me

John Smith

I already know C/C++ programming and now wish to learn Python to do
scripting for some games that are coming out. What book would you recommend.

I am thinking Teach Your Self Python in 24 Hours is probably the best place
to start...

Aahz

I already know C/C++ programming and now wish to learn Python to do
scripting for some games that are coming out. What book would you
recommend.

I am thinking Teach Your Self Python in 24 Hours is probably the best
place to start...

Speaking as the tech editor of that book, I disagree, if only because
it's almost completely out of date. There have been four major versions
of Python released since TYP24. Start with the tutorial on python.org;
that assumes you already know something about programming.

Baishampayan

Hi,
In my opinion, Mark Pilgrim's great book Dive Into Python is the best
suited for somebody who already knows some programming.
The book is a truly free book and is available in a wide range of
formats.
You can get it here http://diveintopython.org/
Enjoy!
-bg-

Luis M. Gonzalez

For someone expereinced like you, I recommend "Dive into Python". It is
available online.
There's also a very good tutorial which is aimed to both, beginners and
experienced programmers, that can give you a very complete and high
level overview of the python language: "A byte of Python". Also
available online.

Nick Vargish

I would recommend starting with the official tutorial to get a feel
for the nuts-and-bolts syntax of Python. Once you've worked your way
through that (probably not more than an afternoon), pick up a copy of
the Python Cookbook. Since you're an experienced programmer, I think
the Cookbook will help you figure out how Python programmers solve
typical (and sometimes not-so-typical) real-world problems.

Nick