what's the deal with me and this newsgroup?

John Salerno

I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.

This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

Thanks.

Travis Newbury

John said:
This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

Ok, it's your breath.

jojo

John said:
I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.

This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

Perhaps your newsreader at work is configured to delete all messages
which are older than a specific age? or the newsserver you use does that
with groups with high traffic... do you use the same newsreader at home
and at work?

Usenet

I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.

It's been the case here forever afaict. I don't know why, and I'm not
sure to do about it. It's been the case over more than one ISP, so I
don't think it's just that.

Some groups won't take a post from me. If you're reading this, alt.html
isn't one of them...

Mark

John Salerno

jojo said:
Perhaps your newsreader at work is configured to delete all messages
which are older than a specific age? or the newsserver you use does that
with groups with high traffic... do you use the same newsreader at home
and at work?

Yes, I use Thunderbird at work and at home. And I doubt it's traffic,
because I also check the Python ng every day and it's very busy. Also,
it's not a matter of age because this happens even with new posts. It's
very strange.

Stuart Miller

John Salerno said:
I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.

This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen to
any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

Thanks.

From what I have heard, it is a problem with your news server.
My ISP seems to care very little about newsgroups - poor retention, server
often down, very low throughput, generally it drops the connection after I
post so I have to stop and restart it.
Some servers are known to drop messages which come in at certain times,
rather than holding them for processing later.

I have found the problem common to all (watched) newsgroups.

Stuart

cwdjrxyz

John said:
Yes, I use Thunderbird at work and at home. And I doubt it's traffic,
because I also check the Python ng every day and it's very busy. Also,
it's not a matter of age because this happens even with new posts. It's
very strange.

Try using Google Groups to read this group online both at home and at
work. You do not have to sign up to read Usenet groups at Google, but
simple signup is required for posting there. Several major ISPs
including AOL and MSN once offered Usenet groups online as part of
their service. Many have dropped this service now, citing the cost of
excessive bandwidth, the fact that many Usenet groups have become
useless(in their opinion), the huge amount of spam traffic Usenet
generated for their email services, and the fact that they received so
many complaints about Usenet posts. My experience is that messages
sometimes get lost no matter what newsreader or ISP service you use.
Some seem to be worse than others.

John Salerno

Usenet said:
Some groups won't take a post from me. If you're reading this, alt.html
isn't one of them...

Nope, I didn't see this post until I got home, although you posted it
even before I made a subsequent post to someone else in this thread.

Blinky the Shark

Stuart said:
From what I have heard, it is a problem with your news server.
My ISP seems to care very little about newsgroups - poor retention, server

That's typical of ISPs. That's why there are alternate (not ISP) news
servers.