    This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
    to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

    Thanks.
    John Salerno, Oct 20, 2006

  2. John Salerno wrote:
    > This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
    > to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

    Ok, it's your breath.
    Travis Newbury, Oct 20, 2006

  3. John Salerno

    jojo Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
    > Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
    > times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.
    >
    > This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen
    > to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

    Perhaps your newsreader at work is configured to delete all messages
    which are older than a specific age? or the newsserver you use does that
    with groups with high traffic... do you use the same newsreader at home
    and at work?
    jojo, Oct 20, 2006
  4. John Salerno

    Usenet Guest

    In article <mp4_g.120$>, John Salerno wrote:
    > I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.

    It's been the case here forever afaict. I don't know why, and I'm not
    sure to do about it. It's been the case over more than one ISP, so I
    don't think it's just that.

    Some groups won't take a post from me. If you're reading this, alt.html
    isn't one of them...

    Mark
    Usenet, Oct 20, 2006
  5. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    jojo wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
    >> Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
    >> times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.
    >>
    >> This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't
    >> happen to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

    > Perhaps your newsreader at work is configured to delete all messages
    > which are older than a specific age? or the newsserver you use does that
    > with groups with high traffic... do you use the same newsreader at home
    > and at work?

    Yes, I use Thunderbird at work and at home. And I doubt it's traffic,
    because I also check the Python ng every day and it's very busy. Also,
    it's not a matter of age because this happens even with new posts. It's
    very strange.
    John Salerno, Oct 20, 2006
  6. John Salerno wrote:

    > I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.

    Outbound kill filters. ;)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 20, 2006
  7. "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    > I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
    > Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
    > times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.
    >
    > This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen to
    > any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?
    >
    > Thanks.

    From what I have heard, it is a problem with your news server.
    My ISP seems to care very little about newsgroups - poor retention, server
    often down, very low throughput, generally it drops the connection after I
    post so I have to stop and restart it.
    Some servers are known to drop messages which come in at certain times,
    rather than holding them for processing later.

    I have found the problem common to all (watched) newsgroups.

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 20, 2006
  8. John Salerno

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > jojo wrote:
    > > John Salerno wrote:
    > >> I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
    > >> Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
    > >> times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.
    > >>
    > >> This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't
    > >> happen to any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?

    > > Perhaps your newsreader at work is configured to delete all messages
    > > which are older than a specific age? or the newsserver you use does that
    > > with groups with high traffic... do you use the same newsreader at home
    > > and at work?

    > Yes, I use Thunderbird at work and at home. And I doubt it's traffic,
    > because I also check the Python ng every day and it's very busy. Also,
    > it's not a matter of age because this happens even with new posts. It's
    > very strange.

    Try using Google Groups to read this group online both at home and at
    work. You do not have to sign up to read Usenet groups at Google, but
    simple signup is required for posting there. Several major ISPs
    including AOL and MSN once offered Usenet groups online as part of
    their service. Many have dropped this service now, citing the cost of
    excessive bandwidth, the fact that many Usenet groups have become
    useless(in their opinion), the huge amount of spam traffic Usenet
    generated for their email services, and the fact that they received so
    many complaints about Usenet posts. My experience is that messages
    sometimes get lost no matter what newsreader or ISP service you use.
    Some seem to be worse than others.
    cwdjrxyz, Oct 20, 2006
  9. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    Usenet wrote:

    > Some groups won't take a post from me. If you're reading this, alt.html
    > isn't one of them...

    Nope, I didn't see this post until I got home, although you posted it
    even before I made a subsequent post to someone else in this thread.
    John Salerno, Oct 20, 2006
  10. Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm noticing that very often I'm not getting every post in this ng.
    >> Sometimes I won't see the original post, but I'll see responses, other
    >> times I'll see responses to posts which themselves aren't there.
    >>
    >> This happens to me at work, but not at home. However, it doesn't happen to
    >> any other newsgroups at work. Anyone know why this might occur?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > From what I have heard, it is a problem with your news server.
    > My ISP seems to care very little about newsgroups - poor retention, server

    That's typical of ISPs. That's why there are alternate (not ISP) news
    servers.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 21, 2006