what's the diffence between "RECENT" and "UNSEEN" in imaplib?

freakrobot

When I work with the imaplib,
there is a imap4.status(mailboxname, '(MESSAGES RECENT UNSEEN)')
function.

So I really wonder what's the difference between RECENT and UNSEEN
conditions.
And what kind of messages belong to RECENT condition?
Thank you~

Chris Rebert

When I work with the imaplib,
there is a imap4.status(mailboxname, '(MESSAGES RECENT UNSEEN)')
function.

So I really wonder what's the difference between RECENT and UNSEEN
conditions.
And what kind of messages belong to RECENT condition?

A. Your question is not Python-specific and would better have been
asked somewhere more relevant.

B. RTFRFC: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html
"""
UNSEEN The number of messages which do not have the \Seen flag set.
[...]

\Seen
Message has been read

\Recent
Message is "recently" arrived in this mailbox. This session
is the first session to have been notified about this message; if the
session is read-write, subsequent sessions will not see \Recent set
for this message. This flag can not be altered by the client. If it is
not possible to determine whether or not this session is the first
session to be notified about a message, then that message SHOULD be
considered recent. If multiple connections have the same mailbox
selected simultaneously, it is undefined which of these connections
will see newly-arrived messages with \Recent set and which will see it
without \Recent set.
"""

Regards,
Chris