What's the difference between Remoting and AJAX?

needin4mation

What is .NET remoting versus Ajax? Any links are appreciated. I
didn't find a straight forward answer. Thanks for any help.

Karl Seguin

They aren't at all the same thing, so you'll likely find no article that
compares the two. .Net remoting is an interprocess communication (IPC), a
way to processes to communicate with each other. It's similar to named
sockets, or fifos or signals...however it's abstract and protocol
independent (I think). Anyways as I understand it, it lets one .net
application easily communicate with another. Think of it as a private and
efficient webservice.

Ajax, allows you to call server side functions from the client. In a way, it
is like an IPC, because it allows the browser process on the client,
communicate with asp.net on the server. However, it is strictly limited to
this purpose. You couldn't use "remoting" instead.

Now that I think about it, and I hope I get corrected if I'm wrong, they
actually are quite similar, but serve entirely different goals.

Karl

Bruce Barker

you are mostly correct. AJAK is really a design pattern, where .net remoting
is an actual implementation library allowing .net componets to communicate
over the a network.

also there is an old asp technology called "remoting", that has been ported
to .net. this is an implementation of AJAX communication library.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)