    e-mail id:

    waiting for ur reply.
    , Dec 30, 2004

  2. Re: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this googlegroups?

    "" <> writes:
    > r there any files which we can download from this group.
    > can we only ask questions in this group?
    > no files stored like it is there in yahoo groups.
    >
    > i think it should be there in group services.

    Please spell out words: "are", not "r"; "your", not "ur".

    This is neither a Yahoo group nor a Google group. It's a Usenet
    newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
    happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
    searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)

    No, there are no files you can download. This is a discussion group.
    There's no such thing as "group services", and there's nobody in
    charge.

    There's a periodically posted article with the subject "Welcome to
    comp.lang.c!" which you may find useful. I advise lurking for a while
    (reading the newsgroup without posting) to get the feel of it.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Keith Thompson said:
    > newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
    > happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
    > searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)

    The new groups-beta from google is pretty good for posting too.
    Messages appear instantaneously, unlike the previous delay. Added to it
    is a facility to subscribe and add watches to posts. It is
    http://groups-beta.google.com/

    Cheers,
    Amar
    Amarendra Godbole, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Michael Mair Guest

    OT: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this googlegroups?

    Amarendra Godbole wrote:
    > Keith Thompson said:
    >
    >>newsgroup, which predates both Yahoo and Google by decades. (Google
    >>happens to provide an interface to Usenet, which is pretty good for
    >>searching retrieving old articles but lousy for posting.)

    > The new groups-beta from google is pretty good for posting too.
    > Messages appear instantaneously, unlike the previous delay. Added to it
    > is a facility to subscribe and add watches to posts. It is
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/

    The "improvements" include gobbling of tabs and spaces in preformatted
    code, so it is about useless for many technical groups.
    The "instantaneously" is to be taken cum grano salis if we consider
    the number of double posts from people using the new google interface.

    The latter may be one of these unsurmountable "it should be no problem"
    problems, but the former is plain nasty. It takes away from you the
    means to post what you write. This even may lead to different semantics
    for languages for which the form (i.e. indentation etc.) defines logical
    blocks etc.

    Cheers
    Michael
    --
    E-Mail: Mine is a gmx dot de address.
    Michael Mair, Dec 30, 2004

    did u(sorry you) answer me out of frustration or just the normal thing?
    when i read it i thought u(sorry you) were irritated by this question
    hence answered me like this.
    By the way who created this usenet news group?
    its good but needs development.
    , Dec 31, 2004
  6. Re: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this googlegroups?

    writes:
    > did u(sorry you) answer me out of frustration or just the normal thing?

    Probably a little of both, frankly, but my advice was sincere.

    Incidentally, I wasn't sure who you were responding to in your latest
    message (I had to check the parent article); it's helpful to include
    attributions.

    > when i read it i thought u(sorry you) were irritated by this question
    > hence answered me like this.
    > By the way who created this usenet news group?
    > its good but needs development.

    I don't know who created it, but I think it's been around for over 20
    years.

    Did you have a question about C?

    Keith Thompson, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Nick Austin Guest

    On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, wrote:

    >By the way who created this usenet news group?

    Google has archives going back to November 1986. For example:

    http://www.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&th=7f588df9880dafc

    As you can see this joins mid-thread and Google does not
    appear to have any archives from before this date.

    Nick.
    Nick Austin, Dec 31, 2004

    wrote:
    > r there any files which we can download from this group.
    > can we only ask questions in this group?
    > no files stored like it is there in yahoo groups.

    This is a discussion forum only, centered on the C programming language
    (meaning discussion of the language itself, not any specific
    implementation of the language); no downloads here.

    > i think it should be there in group services.

    There are no "group services". Usenet newsgroups don't really work
    that way.
    , Dec 31, 2004
  9. On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, in comp.lang.c , wrote:

    >By the way who created this usenet news group?

    This usenet group was created around the same time as the internet, back in
    the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c in the Great Renaming.

    >its good but needs development.

    Actually I suspect that comp.lang.c is pretty mature by its 20th
    birthday... :)

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 31, 2004
  10. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:51:32 +0000, in comp.lang.c , Nick Austin
    <> wrote:

    >On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>By the way who created this usenet news group?

    >Google has archives going back to November 1986.

    net.lang.c, comp.lang.c's original name, dates from 21st November 1982 I
    believe. At least, a google search turns up a couple of documents showing
    net.lang.c as being added to the groups list on that date.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Re: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this google

    In article <> Keith Thompson <> writes:
    > writes:

    > > By the way who created this usenet news group?
    > > its good but needs development.

    > I don't know who created it, but I think it's been around for over 20
    > years.

    Jerry Schwarz from BTL Murray Hill, 21 October 1982, as net.lang.c
    The only charter for this newsgroup comes from that first article:

    Dik T. Winter, Jan 1, 2005
  12. In article <> "nick1 (at) nildram (dot) co (dot) uk" <> writes:
    > On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >By the way who created this usenet news group?

    > Google has archives going back to November 1986. For example:
    >
    > http://www.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&th=7f588df9880dafc
    >
    > As you can see this joins mid-thread and Google does not
    > appear to have any archives from before this date.

    Ah, the great renaming from 1986. Google goes back to 1981, but you have
    to know the group name before that renaming.
    Dik T. Winter, Jan 1, 2005
  13. In article <> Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, in comp.lang.c , wrote:
    >
    > >By the way who created this usenet news group?

    > This usenet group was created around the same time as the internet, back in
    > the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c in the Great Renaming.

    Two errors here. The creation of comp.lang.c is a few years after the
    creation of usenet, and a few years before the creation of internet.
    For a good history see (although that one does not show when internet
    was created - I think around 1986 - it is about usenet only):
    <http://groups.google.nl/groups?selm=4p4mct%24q9r%40doc.jmu.edu&output=gplain>.
    The html link mentioned in that article no longer exists. I joined the group
    by the end of 1984; I should have celebrated the 20 year anniversary ;-).
    Dik T. Winter, Jan 1, 2005
  14. Randy Howard Guest

    Re: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this google

    In article <>, says...
    > > I don't know who created it, but I think it's been around for over 20
    > > years.

    > Jerry Schwarz from BTL Murray Hill, 21 October 1982, as net.lang.c
    > The only charter for this newsgroup comes from that first article:
    > > It's purpose is to carry on discussion of C programming and
    > > the C programming language. Appropriate topics are
    > >
    > > Queries on how to write something in C
    > > Queries about why some C code behaves the way it does
    > > Suggestions for C modifications or extensions
    > > C coding "tricks"
    > > Compiler bugs

    Once upon a time, discussing specific compilers was acceptable,
    but alas today it is not.
    Randy Howard, Jan 1, 2005
  15. On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:55:56 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Dik T. Winter"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > > On 30 Dec 2004 22:12:22 -0800, in comp.lang.c , wrote:
    > >
    > > >By the way who created this usenet news group?

    > > This usenet group was created around the same time as the internet, back in
    > > the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c in the Great Renaming.

    >Two errors here. The creation of comp.lang.c is a few years after the
    >creation of usenet, and a few years before the creation of internet.

    Firstly note that I said "around the same time as". In case that doesn't
    translate well into Dutch, it doesn't mean simultaneously with, it means
    "some time close to".

    Secondly you're defining the internet as starting when www was released on
    the public. I disagree this definition. The internet is the interconnecting
    network of computers rather than a single technology running over it. The
    network existed long before www.

    Sorry to be pedantic but if you will start it... :)

    --
    Mark McIntyre
    Mark McIntyre, Jan 3, 2005
  16. Re: Whats the difference between the yahoo group and this googlegroups?

    Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:55:56 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Dik T. Winter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <> Mark
    >>McIntyre <> writes:

    >> > This usenet group was created around the same time as the
    >> > internet, back in the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c
    >> > in the Great Renaming.

    >>Two errors here. The creation of comp.lang.c is a few years after the
    >>creation of usenet, and a few years before the creation of internet.

    > Firstly note that I said "around the same time as". In case that doesn't
    > translate well into Dutch, it doesn't mean simultaneously with, it means
    > "some time close to".

    As it turns out, net.lang.c was created very close to the time when
    the Internet was created, but it wasn't carried over the Internet
    until later.

    > Secondly you're defining the internet as starting when www was released on
    > the public. I disagree this definition. The internet is the interconnecting
    > network of computers rather than a single technology running over it. The
    > network existed long before www.

    No, I don't think that's what we meant. The WWW originated around
    1990. The Internet arguably originated 1983-01-01, when the ARPANET
    changed its core protocols to TCP/IP (though the ARPANET itself dates
    back to 1969).

    Usenet was created in 1979, and net.lang.c appears to have been
    created in 1982 (and renamed to comp.lang.c in 1986). For a long
    time, most Usenet traffic was carried over UUCP, not over the
    Internet.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 3, 2005
  17. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:38:30 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Keith Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    >> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:55:56 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Dik T. Winter"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <> Mark
    >>>McIntyre <> writes:

    >> Firstly note that I said "around the same time as". In case that doesn't
    >> translate well into Dutch, it doesn't mean simultaneously with, it means
    >> "some time close to".

    >As it turns out, net.lang.c was created very close to the time when
    >the Internet was created, but it wasn't carried over the Internet
    >until later.

    No comment. :)

    >> Secondly you're defining the internet as starting when www was released on
    >> the public.

    >No, I don't think that's what we meant. The WWW originated around
    >1990. The Internet arguably originated 1983-01-01, when the ARPANET
    >changed its core protocols to TCP/IP (though the ARPANET itself dates
    >back to 1969).

    Yes, thats a definition I can accept. Especially since it fits my original
    dates well !! :)

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 3, 2005
  18. In article <> Mark McIntyre <> writes:
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:55:56 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Dik T. Winter"
    > <> wrote:
    > >In article <> Mark McIntyre <> writes:

    > > > This usenet group was created around the same time as the internet, back in
    > > > the early 80s. It was renamed from net.lang.c in the Great Renaming.

    > >Two errors here. The creation of comp.lang.c is a few years after the
    > >creation of usenet, and a few years before the creation of internet.

    > Firstly note that I said "around the same time as". In case that doesn't
    > translate well into Dutch, it doesn't mean simultaneously with, it means
    > "some time close to".

    I should not have used the word error. What I thought wrong was the
    suggestion that there was any relation between the creation of both.

    > Secondly you're defining the internet as starting when www was released on
    > the public. I disagree this definition.

    I do not define it as such. We were the first open non-USA, non-Canada
    site connected to the internet back in 1988, still quite some time before
    www (and at that time also called NSFnet). But we had Usenet since about
    1983, and it was mainly UUCP which was used for Usenet.
    Dik T. Winter, Jan 10, 2005
  19. Tomi Häsä Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > By the way who created this usenet news group?

    Here's some information on how Usenet newsgroups are created:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/

    Here's some general information about Usenet:

    http://www.newbie.net/tgos/newbie/
    http://www.faqs.org/usenet/index.html
    http://www.ibiblio.org/usenet-i/
    http://groups.google.co.uk/googlegroups/basics.html
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/History/
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
    http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

    You are using Google Groups Beta, so here's some info about GG2:

    http://www.google.com/googlegroups/tour/index.html

    Here's the Google Groups Beta discussion forum, where you can ask for help
    in case you are having problems with using GG2:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/google-labs-groups2

    > its good but needs development.

    This Usenet newsgroup looks better when you view it with Google Groups
    Original, or with a newsreader:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=comp.lang.c
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/oe/
    Tomi Häsä, Jan 22, 2005