Whats the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular" Ruby install

Joey S. Eisma

hello!

as the subject goes, what's the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular"
Ruby install? on windows, ActiveRuby defaults to C:\program files, while
"regular" ruby on c:\ruby.

do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
programming task?

thank you!

David Vallner

=46irst things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it c=
oming=20
or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of it.=
=20
Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

D=C5=88a Pondelok 20 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 11:06 Joey S. Eisma nap=C3=ADsal:
hello!

as the subject goes, what's the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular"
Ruby install? on windows, ActiveRuby defaults to C:\program files, while
"regular" ruby on c:\ruby.

I suppose very little. ActiveState tends to bundle some extra Windows-speci=
fic=20
stuff along with its language distribution. Like the wsh integration,=20
possibly some other libs too. IIRC, their Python distro also had quite a bi=
t=20
of extra documentation bundled with it.
do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
programming task?

I doubt it. Whatever floats your boat, I say. I'd personally stick with jus=
t=20
one myself to avoid version mixup lossage, even if that's somewhat unlikely.

David Vallner

James Britt

David said:
First things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it coming
or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of it.
Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

ActiveRuby Script

Been around for a while now.

http://arton.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

Has nothing to do with ActiveState.

--
James Britt

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
- D. Boorstin

Joey S. Eisma

hello!

im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).

does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

thanks!

Hal Fulton

Joey said:
hello!

im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).

does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

My understanding is yes, it's a different installer and
actually a different port of Ruby.

I think the actual project name is ActiveScriptRuby. Try
looking it up that way.

Hal