    do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
    programming task?

    thank you!

    Joey S. Eisma, Feb 20, 2006

  2. =46irst things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it c=
    oming=20
    or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of it.=
    =20
    Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

    D=C5=88a Pondelok 20 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 11:06 Joey S. Eisma nap=C3=ADsal:
    > hello!
    >
    > as the subject goes, what's the difference of ActiveRuby and "regular"
    > Ruby install? on windows, ActiveRuby defaults to C:\program files, while
    > "regular" ruby on c:\ruby.

    I suppose very little. ActiveState tends to bundle some extra Windows-speci=
    fic=20
    stuff along with its language distribution. Like the wsh integration,=20
    possibly some other libs too. IIRC, their Python distro also had quite a bi=
    t=20
    of extra documentation bundled with it.

    > do i need both if i use ruby as wsh script and doing "regular"
    > programming task?

    I doubt it. Whatever floats your boat, I say. I'd personally stick with jus=
    t=20
    one myself to avoid version mixup lossage, even if that's somewhat unlikely.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Joey S. Eisma

    James Britt Guest

    David Vallner wrote:
    > First things first: there's an ActiveRuby?! Well, not that noone saw it coming
    > or anything. Actually, took ActiveState bloody long now that I think of it.
    > Still, this is the first time I saw it mentioned at all.

    ActiveRuby Script

    Been around for a while now.

    http://arton.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

    Has nothing to do with ActiveState.

    --
    James Britt

    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
    of knowledge."
    - D. Boorstin

    James Britt, Feb 21, 2006
  4. hello!

    im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).

    does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

    thanks!

    Joey S. Eisma, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Joey S. Eisma

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Joey S. Eisma wrote:
    > hello!
    >
    > im talking about wsh scripting with ruby (rubyscript).
    >
    > does it have different installer with "standard" ruby.

    My understanding is yes, it's a different installer and
    actually a different port of Ruby.

    I think the actual project name is ActiveScriptRuby. Try
    looking it up that way.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Feb 21, 2006