    what's the difference between span and div tags?

    thanks,
    rodchar
    =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=, Dec 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

    RCS Guest

    Div tags do the same thing that span tags do - and they also add a carraige
    return in the output.

    RCS, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Well, for one thing, they are spelled completely different! ;-)

    The main difference is that a span is an inline element and a div is a block
    element. Inline elements are displayed "in-line" with the surrounding
    content. Block elements are displayed on their own line, below and/or above
    any other content.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    You can lead a fish to a bicycle,
    but it takes a very long time,
    and the bicycle has to *want* to change.

    Kevin Spencer, Dec 21, 2005
  4. thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Unfortunately, you're thanking the wrong guy. His answer is incorrect; mine
    was correct. I wasn't going to say anything, but it sounds like you took him
    at his word.

    Kevin Spencer, Dec 21, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

    RCS Guest

    I don't see you're response Kevin, but with all due respect - from your
    snippy response, I assume you must've taken the the
    technical-but-meaningless approach about how a div is a block? In HTML, just
    about any technical "rule" is broken every day, so to try to be technical
    with HTML is futile, IMHO.

    For all intents and purposes, at least ANY intent or purpose I've ever
    seen - what I described is really the only discernable difference between
    the two. I was just answering in a practical sense.

    RCS, Dec 27, 2005