What's the fastest method to populate data into GRID

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by sqlak sqlak, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. sqlak sqlak

    sqlak sqlak Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I have ASP.NET application which is working fine in the Country lever
    having 20+ remote users. Speed, performance everything is ok with
    current sytemd design and logic I applied for application.

    I' have report called "abc" which dataeader to populate data (SQL
    SERVER) into to grid. In the grid, each rows had command button whcih is
    basically show another grid with details of rows user cicked. To provide
    details system will make round trip to sever to get the details.

    Now, other country (all of them are in the same network) want use this
    application. To know the application performance I ran the report "abc"
    from other country which really takes time to populated the data into
    grid. I though it will take much time if user click "detail" command
    button which basically make a rounf-trip to server.

    To avoid this, I'm thiniking of using DataSet and Adaptor to keep the
    data offline. So when user click "detail" command button, not required
    round-trip to server to get the details since the data is already in the
    "dataset"

    but, when I was testing using dataset from dev't machine. I noticed that
    sytem takes time to show the grid even excution of the following lines.
    Any idea why ?

    cmd1.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    cmd1.CommandTimeout = 300
    cmd1.CommandText = "[Services].[dbo].COB_WC_Vs_OK_NEW"
    cmd1.Connection = objConn
    If objConn.State = 0 Then objConn.Open()

    Dim da1 As New SqlDataAdapter
    Dim ds1 As New dsCOB_KPIS
    da1.SelectCommand = cmd1
    da1.Fill(ds1.tbl_WCvsOK_Sum)

    Me.MainGrid.DataSource = ds1.tbl_WCvsOK_Sum
    Me.MainGrid.DataBind()

    exit sub

    also I have another issue.

    currently the SP return only one SELECT statement which returns data
    from a TEMP table and fills the DataSet.

    I need to return 2 set of data (2 SELECT statements) from my SP from
    TEMP table and each set of data to be filled in different tables of
    DataSet. How can I do this ?.

    If I use datareader, I can have data from multiple SELECT statments from
    the SP. I can't fill a dataset using datareader.

    Many thanks in advance..

    Regards,

    sqlak sqlak, Sep 11, 2004