    what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
    do is just compare two images based on pixels.

    Thanks

    Yingqi Tang, May 15, 2007

  2. Yingqi Tang

    Bira Guest

    On 5/15/07, Yingqi Tang <> wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
    > do is just compare two images based on pixels.
    >
    > Thanks

    The most common seems to be RMagick, which is itself a binding for the
    ImageMagick library.

    --
    Bira
    http://compexplicita.blogspot.com
    Bira, May 15, 2007

  3. > > what's the most common library for Ruby image processing? What I want to
    > > do is just compare two images based on pixels.

    > The most common seems to be RMagick, which is itself a binding for the
    > ImageMagick library.

    There's also ImageScience, which is obviously set up as an
    alternative. Both have their proponents, I think.

    --
    Giles Bowkett

    I'm running a time management experiment: I'm only checking e-mail
    twice per day, at 11am and 5pm. If you need to get in touch quicker
    than that, call me on my cell.

    Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Giles Bowkett, May 15, 2007
  4. > > There's also ImageScience, which is obviously set up as an
    > > alternative. Both have their proponents, I think.

    > Had a look at the homepage, but it seems it's just a smallish
    > thumbnail generator - which is fine, if that's the only thing you need
    > it for. RMagick on the other hand is bigger, but it also does a lot
    > more.

    Hmm, that's weird. It looks like you're right, but why do they make
    such a big deal about being better than ImageMagick when IM gets you
    such full-featured stuff and ImageScience is so much smaller and
    focused? I think ThumbnailScience might have made more sense. Why not
    just call it CleanThumb or something? Is it some ego thing?

    Giles Bowkett, May 17, 2007
  5. Giles Bowkett wrote:
    > Hmm, that's weird. It looks like you're right, but why do they make
    > such a big deal about being better than ImageMagick when IM gets you
    > such full-featured stuff and ImageScience is so much smaller and
    > focused? I think ThumbnailScience might have made more sense. Why not
    > just call it CleanThumb or something? Is it some ego thing?

    Without having ever played with IS, it could be because RMagick
    leaks memory so badly as to make it unusable for a wide variety
    of applications. That's my experience anyhow. I believe that
    ImageMagick doesn't have the same problem, but I haven't tested
    that.

    Bigger does not necessarily mean better, though RMagick's feature
    set is wonderful.

    Clifford Heath.
    Clifford Heath, May 17, 2007
  6. Yingqi Tang

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Clifford Heath wrote:
    > Without having ever played with IS, it could be because RMagick
    > leaks memory so badly as to make it unusable for a wide variety
    > of applications. That's my experience anyhow. I believe that
    > ImageMagick doesn't have the same problem, but I haven't tested
    > that.

    As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
    on RubyForge. All the RMagick "leaks" I know about are addressed in this
    entry in the RMagick Hints & Tips forum:
    http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1374&forum_id=1618.

    If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
    opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script that
    reproduces the leak? I need a script with no extra gems or libraries,
    just Ruby and RMagick. No Rails, attachment_fu, file_column, gruff,
    scruffy, or whatever. Let me know what O/S you're on, what version of
    RMagick and ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick, and what version of Ruby. You
    can send it directly to me, post it here, or open a bug track on RubyForge.

    Thanks very much!

    --
    RMagick [http://rmagick.rubyforge.org]
    RMagick Installation FAQ [http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html]
    Tim Hunter, May 17, 2007
  7. Tim Hunter wrote:
    > As of this moment there are no open bug tracks for RMagick memory leaks
    > If you know of a leak that isn't addressed by that tip, I'd love an
    > opportunity to fix it. Would you mind sending me a script

    Thanks for your support, and when I get back to Australia,
    I'll retest my script with the latest RMagick before sending
    it if necessary. I'm sorry if I slurred an old version when
    the current version mightn't deserve it. I had heard of issues
    from a number of others as well, but I can only relate my
    experience (which is admittedly out of date).

    It'll be a month or so, unfortunately - I'm travelling and
    can't test it here on Mac OSX - the problem was on Debian and
    I think WindowsXP.

    Clifford Heath.
    Clifford Heath, May 18, 2007