What's the name of this technique?

Joe Snodgrass

What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

TIA

Lew

What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

"Violation of the Terms of Service".
:)

Seriously, it's called "screen scraping", and it doesn't have to be
someone else's web site or even a web site.

markspace

What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

Screen scraping
Web Crawling
Spider
Robot

Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite effect.

Arved Sandstrom

markspace said:
Screen scraping
Web Crawling
Spider
Robot

Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite
effect.

Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing". :)
Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
do...

AHS

markspace

Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing". :)
Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
do...

Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.

....just me being pedantic also.... ;-)

Arne Vajhøj

Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.

I am pretty sure that was what he intended to ask for.

But he did ask for "through the interface that people use to surf the
site" !

:)

Arne

David Lamb

Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
interactive tool.

...just me being pedantic also.... ;-)

Yeah -- it's more like a library's taking of inventory than a patron
"browsing" through the books.

Joined
Dec 24, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Joe Snodgrass said:
What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the

TIA

I guess you are not talking about
"cross site scripting"