What's the name of this technique?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joe Snodgrass, Nov 17, 2010.

  1. What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the
    responses, through the interface that people use to surf the site?

    TIA
     
    Joe Snodgrass, Nov 17, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Joe Snodgrass

    Lew Guest

    On Nov 17, 9:50 am, Joe Snodgrass <> wrote:
    > What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    > that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the
    > responses, through the interface that people use to surf the site?


    "Violation of the Terms of Service".
    :)

    Seriously, it's called "screen scraping", and it doesn't have to be
    someone else's web site or even a web site.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Nov 17, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joe Snodgrass

    markspace Guest

    On 11/17/2010 6:50 AM, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    >
    > What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    > that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the
    > responses, through the interface that people use to surf the site?



    Screen scraping
    Web Crawling
    Spider
    Robot

    Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
    file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
    supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite effect.
     
    markspace, Nov 17, 2010
    #3
  4. markspace wrote:
    > On 11/17/2010 6:50 AM, Joe Snodgrass wrote:
    >>
    >> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    >> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves
    >> the responses, through the interface that people use to surf the
    >> site?

    >
    > Screen scraping
    > Web Crawling
    > Spider
    > Robot
    >
    > Would all be appropriate names for such a program. C.f. "robots.txt"
    > file for a website, to keep automated robots pointed where they're
    > supposed to go, as well as the sitemap.xml file for the opposite
    > effect.


    Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing". :)
    Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
    do...

    AHS
    --
    Hanging one scoundrel, it appears, does not deter the next. Well, what
    of it? The first one is at least disposed of. -- H.L. Mencken
     
    Arved Sandstrom, Nov 17, 2010
    #4
  5. Joe Snodgrass

    markspace Guest

    On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
    >
    > Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique "browsing". :)
    > Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
    > do...



    Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
    I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
    interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
    on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.

    ....just me being pedantic also.... ;-)
     
    markspace, Nov 17, 2010
    #5
  6. Joe Snodgrass

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 17-11-2010 18:52, markspace wrote:
    > On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
    >> Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique
    >> "browsing". :)
    >> Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
    >> do...

    >
    > Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
    > I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
    > interactive tool. Whether you're browsing the web or inspecting objects
    > on the heap, it's "browsing" only if done interactively.


    I am pretty sure that was what he intended to ask for.

    But he did ask for "through the interface that people use to surf the
    site" !

    :)

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 18, 2010
    #6
  7. Joe Snodgrass

    David Lamb Guest

    On 17/11/2010 6:52 PM, markspace wrote:
    > On 11/17/2010 2:07 PM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> Call me a bit of a pedant, but I simply call this technique
    >> "browsing". :)
    >> Because he just described what IE and Safari and FF and Chrome and Opera
    >> do...

    >
    > Well, I think he's asking for an automated tool, not an interactive one.
    > I wouldn't call the automated tool a "browser," that implies an
    > interactive tool.
    >
    > ...just me being pedantic also.... ;-)


    Yeah -- it's more like a library's taking of inventory than a patron
    "browsing" through the books.
     
    David Lamb, Nov 18, 2010
    #7
  8. Joe Snodgrass

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:50:23 -0800 (PST), Joe Snodgrass
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    said :

    >
    >What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    >that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the
    >responses, through the interface that people use to surf the site?


    webscaping, screenscraping, useragent

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/screenscraping.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Finding a bug is a sign you were asleep a the switch when coding. Stop debugging, and go back over your code line by line.
     
    Roedy Green, Nov 19, 2010
    #8
  9. Joe Snodgrass

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 18-11-2010 23:27, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:50:23 -0800 (PST), Joe Snodgrass
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    > said :
    >>
    >> What's the name of the programming technique where you write a code
    >> that goes to someone else's website, issues commands and retrieves the
    >> responses, through the interface that people use to surf the site?

    >
    > webscaping, screenscraping, useragent


    I guess 1.5 (1 correct and 1 misspelled) out of 3
    is considered good enough these days ...

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 20, 2010
    #9
  10. Joe Snodgrass

    code learner

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Messages:
    19

    I guess you are not talking about
    "cross site scripting"
     
    code learner, Dec 26, 2010
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Weng Tianxiang
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,133
    Weng Tianxiang
    Apr 7, 2005
  2. Dave Swersky

    ASP.NET Technique Headcheck

    Dave Swersky, Aug 13, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    337
    Dave Swersky
    Aug 13, 2003
  3. Jim Heavey

    Best Technique

    Jim Heavey, Nov 11, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    358
    Jim Heavey
    Nov 11, 2003
  4. Patrick Kristiansen

    Templating technique

    Patrick Kristiansen, Jan 24, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    352
    Natty Gur
    Jan 26, 2004
  5. jqpdev
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    522
    jqpdev
    Feb 28, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page