What's the new hotness for packaging gems?

Tony Arcieri

I've used ad hoc stuff for packaging most of my gems. Long ago there was
hoe... is that still relevant?

In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

Luis Lavena

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

I've used ad hoc stuff for packaging most of my gems.  Long ago there was
hoe... is that still relevant?

In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

Bones, Jeweler and soon and updated version of Hoe for gemcutter's
push command instead of RubyForge usage.
(in no particular or preferred order)

James Edward Gray II

=20
jeweler is what I'm using these days.

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just =
about the same size as a traditional gem specification. Which problem =
were we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? :)

I'm mostly kidding here. Everyone should use whatever they like, of =
course.

James Edward Gray II=

Rick DeNatale

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just =
about the same size as a traditional gem specification. =A0Which problem we=
re we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? =A0:)
I'm mostly kidding here. =A0Everyone should use whatever they like, of co=
urse.

All kidding aside, the main advantage of using any of these tools is
getting some rake tasks to help with the workflow of maintaining and
publishing gems.

I've been using Dr. Nic's newgem which is based on hoe, and adds
things like maintaining a rubyforge web site. I'm considering
switching to using jeweler though.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Matt H

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just =
about the same size as a traditional gem specification. =A0Which problem we=
re we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? =A0:)
Jeweler is pretty awesome because in addition to providing rake tasks like:

rake version:bump
rake gemcutter:release

It will also automatically create your repository on github if you're into =
that.

I haven't tried the others though.

--=20
Find me - http://www.smajn.net/social

David Masover

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just
about the same size as a traditional gem specification. Which problem
were we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? :)

Mostly kidding, too, but I have to agree -- the only gems I've actually built
lately have been small enough that I don't see a real advantage to doing it
programmatically. The last time I did, the only real point I saw was getting a
list of files -- only needed when I was letting Github build gems, and
directory globbing was not allowed in those gempsecs.

Ryan Davis

I've used ad hoc stuff for packaging most of my gems. Long ago there = was
hoe... is that still relevant?
=20
In this age of Gemcutter, what should I be using to generate my
gemspecs/build my gems/etc?

Hoe is still very relevant and is what pretty much all of seattle.rb =
uses. It has a great plugin system that makes it very easy to enable =
extra features. Raggi wrote a gemcutter plugin that'll be folded in and =
default on the next release.

Roger Pack

I've seen several uses of it now and it always strikes me that it's just
about the same size as a traditional gem specification. Which problem
were we trying to solve with all of these fancy packagers again? :)

I'm mostly kidding here. Everyone should use whatever they like, of
course.

Yeah now that we no longer publish through github it's not as much of a
necessity. It does still give you the

s.add_development_dependency 'x'

it will break that up into the appropriate dependency based on rubygems
version (i.e. it gives you the backwards compatible checks for free),
but beyond that you could probably just stick it in a gemspec anyway.

-r